My First Build Ever, 81 XS650, Lets see how this goes...

Do yourself a favor. Either buy a media blast cabinet from harbor freight, or build one like this http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17488. Makes your build go much smoother and look much nicer. Like this Good luck with the build. Oh yeah when you weld your cross tubes on the hard tail remember to put a threaded rod through the axle holes and stretch it out a 1/4". This will help with your spacing when putting tire back on

Attachments

• IMG_0524[1].jpg
    IMG_0524[1].jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0528[1].jpg
    IMG_0528[1].jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Do yourself a favor. Either buy a media blast cabinet from harbor freight, or build one like this http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17488. Makes your build go much smoother and look much nicer. Like this Good luck with the build. Oh yeah when you weld your cross tubes on the hard tail remember to put a threaded rod through the axle holes and stretch it out a 1/4". This will help with your spacing when putting tire back on

Very cool cabinet, thanks for the tip bro

Looking good

I love the picture of the carbs being disassembled, and the hammer within easy reach! The tool of choice for the professional mechanic!

Keep on at it.

Yeah, those hammers come in handy with 30+ years of grime and buildup holding things together, it gets hard to stay organized when theres so much going on...:yikes:

Soo I got my compressor, and air tools, sand blaster, cabinet last weekend which my brother happily helped set up (See pic). I went with the kobalt 30 gal. 2 hp... wish i could have gone bigger but no 220 in my garage and its a rental.
Anyways its working great nice and quite, and the sandblasters fun to play with, I bought it the day before i went to work so I've had to wait, also I "borrowed" a 50lb bag of medium grade walnut shell from the drilling rig I work on, we will see how that works in the blaster... I've been running soda, and it seems too fine for some of the stuff I am trying to do.
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Nice looking compressor. I have wanted to upgrade my direct drive but every one I looked at was less CFM. I picked up a paint gun looking sand blast gun and it ran fine with mine.

I like the cabinet but I ended up with a tarp and big box. Next for small projects I think it may be a utility sink with a glass lid or something like that. Lots of guys building cheap cabinets.

Glad I wrote that because my cousin just dropped off a lot of sheet metal camo colored. Time for a build and thread!

Good looking build on the bike too!

Soo I got my compressor, and air tools, sand blaster, cabinet last weekend which my brother happily helped set up (See pic). I went with the kobalt 30 gal. 2 hp... wish i could have gone bigger but no 220 in my garage and its a rental.
Anyways its working great nice and quite, and the sandblasters fun to play with, I bought it the day before i went to work so I've had to wait, also I "borrowed" a 50lb bag of medium grade walnut shell from the drilling rig I work on, we will see how that works in the blaster... I've been running soda, and it seems too fine for some of the stuff I am trying to do.
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg
Bobber build check list : Tattos : check , Attitude ( middle finger salute to camera ) check , Angle grinder : check . OK, you are good to go !

I hit up the pistons with a cleaner and brass brush...and all the tools I am getting are just the result of an unmarried, kid-less 24 yr old working on a drilling rig buddy :)

P.s. Border Collies are the best breed in the world.

Its 70 here today surprisingly. I was thinking people would be trying to get rid of their bikes on CL. Usually there are some great deals to be had this time of year but nothing really. I ended up w a Sportster I'm going to tear apart. I saw this post and went out and got my own compressor and soon the cabinet. I'm amped to get this thing torn apart after checking this thread out lol.

4C2E88C8-2229-447E-BDB7-5AE8DF530D79.jpeg
So believe it or not after over five years of sitting in boxes I’m actually working on this project again. After a new house, career change and getting married hopefully I can actually get this done. Hitting it pretty hard lately and feeling optimistic.

Back