My first car

Bit Off Topic, but here's a picture of the oldest thing on wheels I worked on:
1701025883943.jpeg

I'm a bit foggy but seem to recall it's 1918. Between Norm and myself we managed to combine a few odds and ends of parts in to a running engine for it. Some others in the shop repaired the cab and made the stake rack for it.

Kind of wish there was an Internet back then to post a build story to like Downeast's latest project!

1st car in high school in 1962...1955 Chevy Bel Air 2-door hrdt. 265 'power pack!' auto. Green with cream color. Plastic seat covers too.
(I know this says 1st car, but in 1964 as a senior in HS, I bought a '57 Corvette F.I. 4-speed.)

View attachment 255987

View attachment 255988
I graduated in 65 but didn`t get my first Corvette until 1967. A 1964 roadster.:thumbsup: I guess that would make us about 76 yrs old ??

'69 Bronco. 302 2v, three on the tree (non-synchro 1st), total rust bucket. Dad bought it for us to work on when I was 12 in the early 80s. Was a plow truck for a Ford dealer, then a high school project truck. Had 4"x8" I-beams for bumpers. Literally rose 2" when we cut them off. Manual steering, manual drum brakes, and we had the bright idea to lift it a few inches and put 31"x10.50" under it. Had a lot of fun with that thing in the late 80s. Sold it for a new '89 Chebby S10 (didn't last long), then a new '93 F-150. Bought myself an early '65 Mustang to restore in '91, and still have it.

Mine was a '65 Beetle. It was bought to replace my Kawasaki S-1 250 when I found out that father's wouldn't let their daughters ride on motorcycles.
They always snuck out anyway...and the wagon to have was the split window van with the "place to recline"!!
1701095012787.png
Hi sweetie, do you hate war, let's talk... Oh those days!
I had a '62 with a 1600 40 horse (crossdrilledcrank) Divorce, lost with the WLA, pity...

1969 Triumph Spitfire. I was 16 and no one told me not to buy a car from Massachusetts. I had a single 9/16-1/2 combo wrench and a 1/2 socket. That's all.
No money, no knowledge, no skill and a Dad who didn't know anything either. I learned as I went and eventually moved the car onto another victim with its fiberglass patched rust and grafted-in hood louvers. That poor car.
69Spit 1.JPG

Edit: You can see our geodesic dome house in the background.

1969 Triumph Spitfire. I was 16 and no one told me not to buy a car from Massachusetts. I had a single 9/16-1/2 combo wrench and a 1/2 socket. That's all.
No money, no knowledge, no skill and a Dad who didn't know anything either. I learned as I went and eventually moved the car onto another victim with its fiberglass patched rust and grafted-in hood louvers. That poor car.View attachment 256071
Edit: You can see our geodesic dome house in the background.
I like your taste in cars. At 16, I had an affinity for British sports cars as well. I was emancipated before being able to own my own car.

Back