My first ever bike build!!

Yeah I might have to Carbon. I will wait and see once the engine is in.........

Well sunshine does weird things to the mind............

9384899438_3c876f1c91_b.jpg

9382116447_b530869cd4_b.jpg

First coat of primer, I may do the final coat if the weather holds. Very windy and the clouds keep threatening, but I have kept the rain away so far!!!:mad::D

And painted...........

9383064287_e3a9fc6505_b.jpg

9385847798_6ec342e2c0_b.jpg

Going to leave it for a couple of days, before I start assembling the bike as the paint is still tacky.I want to be sure it's dry so it stays where I put it.

FINALLY managed to get the swingarm on!!!! And tomorrow I'm getting my engine blasted!!! And then some more painting!!!

Put my new shocks on as well, and then had a battle with the kick stand spring before I called it a night.

Pics!!!

9423605617_694b9a73f4_b.jpg

9426372938_d98f125ed1_b.jpg

9423601925_1667d277b2_b.jpg

9423600693_330659fde0_b.jpg

That is lookin' good Airwolfie! I'm kinda diggin' the raw tank look. Damn, I sure like that seat man.I might have to look into getting one for mine.

Nice looking job fixing the frame. Like the monster look . Going to be a great ride when finished. Following this one nice so far.

Thankyou Scabber! I have an image in my head, I just hope it comes out like that!!

Added the kickstand and spring. Took me ages to get the spring on, but I managed in the end after dong a search on this forum( I know right! It's amazing how that works!!:D), and a couple of youtube videos made me decide on using the old coin trick! IT WORKS!!! I couldn't quite bend it like the said, so I hung some weight off it(70lb!!)and then stretched it a tad more, and that allowed me to add the coins until it was long enough to hook over the tab with ease!

Here are some pictures so you can visualise it if you like me!( I HAVE to see pictures!)

9436201441_e6fa1d84d3_b.jpg

9436203247_599a6e4b3a_b.jpg

And once the spring is on, you just simply extend the stand and you can then easily pull the coins out!!

My engine has been sent off to be aqua blasted tomorrow, so more progress reports soon!!:bike::D

So today I refitted the bearings. Man they were stuck in there!! Destroyed them getting them out! Good thing I got new ones!! And then I forgot to put the spacer in!!!!! Luckily managed to gently remove the one bearing and insert the spacer! Idiot!!! :banghead:

I also painted the wheel just to see what it would look like. I'll probably get them powdercoated and relacedd at some piont

Then I FINALLY got to doing the drum brake and I fitted the rear wheel!!!!

Looking more like a bike now!!!!

9465858251_5539f16540_b.jpg

9468637144_6e5d673f9d_b.jpg

I like her Mate!
I think I like your tank a bit better than mine.
The two tanks are almost the same.
Your tank is a bit more narrow at the bottom, and the length seems a bit longer too.
But that may be a illusion.
from the side view the 2 tanks look close

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to be the one that asks. That's a low tunnel Mustang tank, amirite? Does the front end turn lock-to-lock without hitting it? :shrug:
No offense intended mate, I think it looks great, but curious minds want to know.

Okay, looks like I'm going to have to be the one that asks. That's a low tunnel Mustang tank, amirite? Does the front end turn lock-to-lock without hitting it? :shrug:
No offense intended mate, I think it looks great, but curious minds want to know.

I ran a tank like that in the mid-70s, chromed, with raised middle seam, great for long distance trips. Had to set it back a little more than in your pics to get stock XS1B top triple clamp to clear. Mounted direct to frame, it was 'noisy'...

My tank is frisco style. Before I mounting I tested for just that thing. My bars just miss the tank by 1/8"
full

after looking at the two tanks Airwolfies tank is longer than my tank.
I sure like Your tank Airwolfie

I like her Mate!
I think I like your tank a bit better than mine.
The two tanks are almost the same.
Your tank is a bit more narrow at the bottom, and the length seems a bit longer too.
But that may be a illusion.
from the side view the 2 tanks look close

Thanks Carbon! Couldn't say off hand how different it is to yours though, but I could get some measurements if you like?

No it's not a low tunnel, at least it seems pretty shallow. It didn't say when I bought it. If I knew there were different depths of tunnels, I would have looked for one that is deeper. I THINK it will clear, but I can't say for sure unti I get the triple tree back for the R1 forks.

I ran a tank like that in the mid-70s, chromed, with raised middle seam, great for long distance trips. Had to set it back a little more than in your pics to get stock XS1B top triple clamp to clear. Mounted direct to frame, it was 'noisy'...

Got some rubber washers inbetween tank and frame, so it ight be less "noisy" I hope!! We'll see once she runs!

Back