My first ever bike build!!

Thanks Richard! She is a cutie, mostly!! Not so cute when the madam decides it's time to get up at 4am because it is light!!!

So I ripped into the rear light, and found a dry solder joint! Fecking stupid fecking cheapskate crap cheapskate workmanship!! I had to cut the wires, completely disassemble the light unit and start from scratch. got all the wires on, and then I tried to solder the original wires back on, no go!! Fecking cheapskate fecking fecking dirty oily crap wires won't solder!!!!! SO i had to hold the iron on the wires for a bit to burn off all the crud and crap, and eventually it worked. PHEW! Wired it all back on, rebuilt the housing, and turned the key, WHOHOO!!! It works!!

A nice ride into work tomorrow seems to be the order of the day!!

I also tweaked the left carbs needle a touch, and adjusted the clutch a fraction, will see how it goes tomorrow!

Been a while since I posted, I have done nearly 2500 miles on her so far! Most of it commuting to work last year, as I got little time to myself on weekends.

Apart from replacing my number plate three times, fixing/modifying/replacing my rear mudguard four times, and the front one was remade using a thicker gauge stainless steel, replacing my broken clutch cable with a hydraulic version(which works amazingly well I might add!), she goes like a dream!

Took her out last weekend for the first time since I put her to bed in September last year.

Primed her with a few kicks, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, and she fired up on the second kick! Took her for a quick 45mile blast around the backroads.

Man, I did sure miss riding my XS!!!:bike::bike::bike:

Primed her with a few kicks, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, and she fired up on the second kick! Took her for a quick 45mile blast around the backroads.

Man, I did sure miss riding my XS!!!:bike::bike::bike:

yeah I really miss riding mine too...:bike:
I've got to sort out the clutch basket rubbing before I can take mine out again. :(

That's a bummer mate! Git 'er done!!:D

Soinds like you are missing a shim or your bolts are too long perhaps?:shrug:

Looks like the weather is picking up this week, so I MAY have to toddle off to work on her again!!:D:D

(sorry for rubbing it in!)

not missing a shim but I need an extra shim to space the clutch basket off the cramnkcase.
I had a washer left over after my engine rebuild ..:wtf: now I know where it should have gone.
The PO must have fitted an extra washer because the rear of the clutch basket was rubbing but when I measured the clearance it seemed to be enough but after a few hundred miles its started to rub. :doh:

Getting caught up in here.. really enjoyed reading this thread- the challenges, the tribulations, and finally hitting the road! Very inspirational!

not missing a shim but I need an extra shim to space the clutch basket off the cramnkcase.
I had a washer left over after my engine rebuild ..:wtf: now I know where it should have gone.
The PO must have fitted an extra washer because the rear of the clutch basket was rubbing but when I measured the clearance it seemed to be enough but after a few hundred miles its started to rub. :doh:

Yeah I remember now, you did mention that. Qiuck one hour jobbie mate! Lean her over to the left side so you don't need to dump the oil, get that sidedcover off, and get on the job!:D:D

Sounds easy, but I know it isn't!:wink2:

Getting caught up in here.. really enjoyed reading this thread- the challenges, the tribulations, and finally hitting the road! Very inspirational!

Thanks DQG! It's been a long road, lots of stumbles and learning on the way, but what a journey! Loved it, and still am!:thumbsup::bike:

hey thanks for that tip :thumbsup::D

I'd read it somewhere before but forgotten it . That will save emptying the oil out at least ....mind you I expect my oil filter will be toast and the oil might need a change anyway.

I'll try tipping the bike first because I'm not 100% sure it is the clutch basket rubbing

Last edited:
:thumbsup:
So the spark plugs are NGK 2412 BP7ES's, andI got myself some spark plug resistor covers with the Boyer kit.

The problem is, they don't marry up!! I pushed as hard as I could without breaking them, but they just won't go onto the plug!!

Some pictures........

11278791014_2485d178b2_b.jpg

11278786964_829e72da67_b.jpg

Am I missing something here? Or am I just too stupid to do this??? The male part seems way too big to fit into the female part.

I am dumbstruck, can anyone clarify this? Or did I buy the wrong plugs perhaps? I did get them off Yambits, so I ASSUMED they are the right ones? I would have thought both being off the same company, that they would just fit. Guess I was wrong............

Does it hurt the female part when you put it in? :thumbsup:

Yes, the oil pressure relief valve in that bolt. Peanut raised the question, and I seem to recall Punkscaler had some posts on that in a thread discussing oil pressures, filters, and his pressure guage.

You're doing well on this rebuild.

I love work, I'm fascinated by it. I can stand and watch it for hours....
G'day 2M,

I cannot find at what setting the "detent screw w/ball" is fitted into the filter retaining bolt.

I was thimking maybe install it flush.

Any ideas??

Cheers,

GW

It’s been a while! I’ve changed quite a bit on this bike, still have it! Changed the rear fender, mounted the number plate on the side, different handle bars, internal throttle, a bit more detailing here and there . Got a new tank that sits lower, looks way better now!

Also got her dyna tuned, runs so much better now!

Not sure if anyone would be interested in buying? I don’t know if the Uk forum is still active, I can’t seem to find it…

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0243.jpeg
    IMG_0243.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 53
Back