My First Project

52Chevy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just picked up my 1980 XS 650 yesterday. It's got about 12,500 miles on it. It has been sitting in my dads barn for about 4 years.

I have almost all the parts except the air boxes. The motor is seized up so my goal first off is to figure out what I need as far as that is concerned. The trans is free, it shifts through all the gears. My dad believes that a mouse built a nest in one of the cylinders and the remnants of that are jammed in the head.

The inside of the tank looks really good, the seat is in great shape.

I'll get some pictures and post them later. Hopefully I can get some help from you guys on parts or whatever.

Also does anybody know where I can download a service manual for the bike?

Thanks,
Dave

So do you have a 1952 Chevy? Hope its a 2 door coupe.....love that body style. Had a couple of em......anyway ...Welcome to the insanity! Some of us have too many bikes and too many projects ...uh did I say that outloud? Watchout , you may get addicted....Kev.

P.S. pics are a must here........lets see em.

So do you have a 1952 Chevy? Hope its a 2 door coupe.....love that body style. Had a couple of em......anyway ...Welcome to the insanity! Some of us have too many bikes and too many projects ...uh did I say that outloud? Watchout , you may get addicted....Kev.

P.S. pics are a must here........lets see em.

I have a 52 Chevy Pickup that was my grandpas, it's my next project after my bike.
I'll get pics up when I get out of work and get it in the garage. I'm a wrenching addict already, and a bike doesn't take up as much room as a car.

The mice usually don't make it into the cylinder on a 4 stroke. Air boxes and mufflers all the time but the throttle plate stops them on the carb side. If the exhaust still had factory muffler the baffles stop them on that end.
This barn find was running for crap last week,
GS450.JPG

I finally figured out why. Airboxes had screens so he stopped there.

More than once I have blown mouse nest about 20 feet out of the pipes on the first fire and rev.
I had a 400 Husky with mice in the cylinder it took a solid week with serious pressure to free that piston from the bore.

If the cylinders are clean spray in rust buster (PB blaster is my favorite) Wait an hour or two, dump it in second while a buddy is pushing as fast as his little legs can go on pavement.......... That just worked for me on a CB350 which is now showing 175 on both sides but I'm waiting on some rubber parts for the carbs for first fire off.

photo.jpg

It's cleaned up now and starting to look decent but the chrome will never be great....

The mice usually don't make it into the cylinder on a 4 stroke. Air boxes and mufflers all the time but the throttle plate stops them on the carb side. If the exhaust still had factory muffler the baffles stop them on that end.
This barn find was running for crap last week,
GS450.JPG

I finally figured out why. Airboxes had screens so he stopped there.

More than once I have blown mouse nest about 20 feet out of the pipes on the first fire and rev.
I had a 400 Husky with mice in the cylinder it took a solid week with serious pressure to free that piston from the bore.

It does have the stock mufflers, but they are pretty rotted out. My dad had poured some trans fluid in the cylinders to try to free them up, but no luck in his barn. I'm going to pull the motor take of the heads and give it a through inspection and go from there. I'm hoping it's nothing major and that I can get it running soon.

Well I started tearing into it a little bit tonight. I got the tank and pipes off drained fluids etc. Hopefully I will get the motor out tomorrow.

My Flickr account isn't working at the moment so I can't upload pics. Hopefully tomorrow.

I'm excited to see what I'm working with once I get the motor out of the frame!!

Well yesterday I got the bike prepped to remove the motor. Pulled the motor today and hopefully Thursday I will be able to start tearing the motor apart!

Here are some pics of the bike.

Stock Bike
7497976436_604e872f08_b.jpg

7498111524_3d09a1a0f2_b.jpg

7498213278_faa4e4b7c9_b.jpg

Parts
7498182174_8ddfb71f67_b.jpg

Beginning the tear down
7497987936_c6237f007b_b.jpg

Today's Results
7497982736_65f5c4142f_b.jpg

7498230500_ff29066f5f_b.jpg

I started digging into the top end and when I removed the tappet covers I started finding loose metal.

Here's what we got

7502981384_1b6519f690_b.jpg

7502980466_a0b8307fd1_b.jpg

here's what came out of that
7502980140_c61dae7bc2_b.jpg

7502981056_acb91cc90c_b.jpg

here's what came out of that
7502980736_fed0db5ae9_b.jpg

7502981992_f585a72540_b.jpg

7502981690_77dd4852af_b.jpg

7502979458_bd37d6e2c1_b.jpg

Still gonna finish tearing it apart and see what I can find.

Yeah I'm going to guess stuck valve, pulling the head going to show more. SOME ONE knew because it didn't end quietly! You don't have to cut the cam chain.....

Quite possible, my dad didn't know, he said it would roll over when he got it a few years ago, but he didn't look into it too much.

How do I remove that? The manual wasn't giving me very detailed instructions.

Slip the bearings off both ends of the cam. Then you can wiggle the cam out from under the chain.

Alright sweet thanks, and do I need to note how its sitting at the moment? or does it not matter to much?

You don't have to worry how it's sitting now as you take things apart, just later when you assemble it. Then you have to line it up properly.

I think you're going to have to look for a replacement head. It appears yours has parts of the internal castings broken out.

Back