My first XS650 Build

Thunderhorse

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So to get this out of the way. I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing, I hope I don't get pushed away for that, I am picking up this 1980 Yamaha XS650 bike for $600 this week. I have been interested in these bikes with the bobber look for a while. I have been doing my research and I know I have much much more to go! My budget is N/A if you will, so this is going to be a very lengthy project. My dad is going to help me build a proper bike stand in my basement to help with the process. :thumbsup:
So my first order of business is removing the parts and stripping the bike down to it's frame.
The second thing I want to do is either buy or fabricate a weld-on straight hardtail frame, I've looked at some prices and noticed it's about $300 to purchase this frame from www.lowbrowcustoms.com But then again, this project will not be rushed so I might take some lessons in fabrication and make my own frame to save money.
If I get that far relitivley soon, this project will really start to boom for me, I hope I can afford to keep everyone upodated with my progress in the next few weeks, but for now I need to pick up this bike. I will post some pictures once I actually own the bike. Any feedback or suggestions on my first steps (tools & other things I will need) would be great, thanks.:)

Take the time to get it running really well, get your title changed to your name, get used to it stock and then think about making changes. If it doesn't run before you chop away at it, it won't run when you are done chopping.

Back