My first xs650 project

DeadGuy102

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought this bike about 2 months ago and just recently found this site and wanted to share what I have done so far and get some feedback. Sorry about the quality, there from my phone.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Looks like it's coming along pretty good. After seeing that and MellowYellow's build, I'm convinced that hardtails with an 18" rear wheel are the way to go. You'll probably catch some shit for chopping such a nice complete bike, but it's your bike and what's done is done. Just tell 'em the pictures make it look nicer than it really was :wink2:

Welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Yea....... looked like the muffler was had discoloration from the joint......Had to be chopped no to ways about it :D

- interesting way of leaving the top mount in...the more blacked out rims and hubs i see, the more i like them...running flat bars, where are you going to put the footpegs?

Yeah, another original well preserved XS gone forever:( . Unfortunately, I'd say the value of the bike was just cut in half. Still, as the old saying goes, everytime someone cuts up an original, the value of our stock bikes just increase.

Please don't take my remarks as offensive, I'm just stating facts. Its your bike and hope you enjoy your chopper.

- 'it happens RG, nothing to be done about it except appreciate the rising value of yours and other well preserved models :shrug:...there are other bonuses too, many of these are started with marginal bikes anyway, the parts not being used are becoming available, eventually many of these projects will become available pretty cheap-for parts-as they shake themselves to pieces :wink2:...i bought many old chopped brits pretty cheap back in the day, that have proven great for parts ... also you can value the effort and energy that has gone into them as they cruise along the street without having to ride them :D

About two days after i hardtailed it, I found some pics of some softtail's and actually thought about chopping off the hardtail and building a swing arm for it. I could care less about he value of the bike. These things are UGLY stock. You would never catch someone my age(23) cruising that stock bike around town. Its crazy to think im working on something 9 years older than me. At the dealership we dont work on anything older than 2000.

Im not sure where to put the foot pegs. Im 6'1" 205lbs so im guessing forward controls.

Also I cant find a round fender anywhere. Ive looked threw drag specialties and a few other vendors I have and cant find any I like for the right price, any idea's?

- round guards are pretty expensive to begin with

I could care less about he value of the bike. These things are UGLY stock. You would never catch someone my age(23) cruising that stock bike around town. Its crazy to think im working on something 9 years older than me. At the dealership we dont work on anything older than 2000.

Im not sure where to put the foot pegs. Im 6'1" 205lbs so im guessing forward controls.

- dont worry about what others say...theyre not really seriously poking at you, although ugliness is a very subjective thing and these bikes have a great retro appeal...i got my first bike when i was 13-it was 40 years old then and to me was cooler than cool-today its a collectors item :thumbsup:

. I could care less about he value of the bike. These things are UGLY stock. You would never catch someone my age(23) cruising that stock bike around town. Its crazy to think im working on something 9 years older than me. At the dealership we dont work on anything older than 2000.

DeadGuy102, Interesting to hear the opinion and why a young person would not like the XS in standard form and the reason for chopping it. The last peice of info about the dealerships seems to have a lot of influence and shows the throwaway mentality of life today.

I thought the bike was a 79 because of the seat then realised the tank had no emblems, on that a 77? yes the parts would be snaped up so help us out by advertising them.

Happy building

I completely appreciate a restored and pristine XS650, but I'm kind of with deadguy... Our age group isn't really interested in a clean looking 30yo jap bike. Like I said I appreciate the older clean bikes, but they just aren't for me. I bought a 650 for the ease to chop and turn into something that I want. Also for the price.... Sorry, but the 650 is cheap. When I was looking for a bike to turn into my own I was looking for a the Triumph or the Yamaha 650. Then I realized that I would go with the Yamaha b/c of the price. When I finally found one it wasn't as much of a basket case as I had planned on, but I hadn't found one in the area for over 2 months to even try for. So I ended up spending $200 more than I had planned for a running and otherwise sound bike. Instead of spending $200 less for a basketcase. Sorry, resto guys. I am just not interested in the stock Yamaha. I like the customs!! I say to each, his own. :thumbsup:

Welding on that overused tc hardtail and a frisco mounted sportster tank really isnt all that custom :wink2: and a poser on a chopped yamaha really aint no biker for that matter :laugh::laugh: That bike was worth 2000 around here now its worth 600 maybe 1100 or so done most just die off in a corner untill time to part out.
chop.up the specials but leave the standards stock :thumbsup:

Just for the record I too am building a bobber out of a basket special but I aint using no damn tc bro hardtail :yikes::D

Last edited:
geezer arent you just a ray of sunshine, if he wants to chop up that bike and make a go cart of it, its his f'n choice, you may not like it but hey, its not yours, and downing they guy for it only makes you like like the rearend of a donkey

Actually I bought mine running for $1,100. Also guessing by your s/n I don't think you would really relate with someone in their early 20's.... We still need to be able to look cool enough to pick up 20yo tail. That's a lot harder to do riding a stock XS. Once again not knocking it, but just not what I was looking for. Although hardtail and sportster tank might not be that custom. However, it's what I wanted either way. I really didn't want a super custom tank... It just looks too Orange County Chopperish. I like the fact that my bike will look like I put it together with what I could find. At the end of the day when I am finished. I will just be glad to ride.

Whenever I have to mate a sportster tank with a frame that it doesn't just bolt onto and put a hardtail that wasn't originally there... I would call that custom either way. I can't just go and buy chrome replacement parts from Mikes and bolt them on. Like I said before. Ride it the way you want it. I just don't know why ppl on these forums are into bashing the want to do this. It takes all kinds of ppl in this world to make it go around. And hey I will gladly admit that probably 90% of the ppl that chop these up probably just got a wild ass hair up their butts and bite off more than they can chew. What's funny is that no one is really bitching at the guys that make cafes.

Sure, I'm no Gordonscott or Mule, but I would like to think that after my FIRST build. That I have learned plenty and have more ideas for the next builds that I do. Including an older Harley that I just picked up. Oh yeah. I'll probably use a sportster tank on it as well. Is that SUPER original? No, but I like it. Would you be happy if I made my sportster tank from scratch? Would that classify it as custom then?

Sorry I struck a raw nerve mate ......nursin a blown achilles tendon perhaps its the meds:banghead: . Chop on young lads...:thumbsup:

Wow, sorry to hear that man. My brother in law went through that. He had a 6 month recovery time.

No worries. It's just that as many ppl have said previously it makes your bike worth more! Also like you have said previously. Makes it easier for you to find parts. Besides I cut up a Special II.

I bought a TC bros hardtail bc I didn't realize that I would be able to make my own hardtail pretty easily. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought the "universal hardtail" from them and would have done a dropseat. That's the only thing that I regret.

Big Jimmy the reason most guys dont hate on the "Cafe builds" is because they are usually a little more eloquintly thought out build wise, and are usually a little bit better use of the resource. They also havent been cut up to the point of no return. and well quite frankly still revert to the term classic,.

I like the tc bro hardtail universal kit because a guy can controll the streach and lower frame rail geometry ... Their... weld on... stays flat to long then swoops up to the axle plate at a steep angle in my opinion

Last edited:
Back