My $Free.99 Project

I made my coil bracket out of something similar. I think it's like 16 gauge. It's been in use and holding up fine now for a bit more than 10 years .....

uWiqFHL.jpg

Xprz1CB.jpg

DJJjDkJ.jpg
Yours was the inspiration for mine!

I'm wondering if that metal sturdy enough to withstand the vibration.

The vibrations here are not the type that would cause metal fatigue, as they aren't harmonic or very destructive. Even if so, it's a gentle curve, so no stress risers and it would have some level of absorption. I did consider some rubber washers under the mount to the frame, but feel confident it won't need that.

I think rounding all the cuts off will help ward off stress cracks too. Get rid of all the sharp inside corner cuts.

Got the throttle cable figured out, but it is RIGHT up on the breather mount. Do I need all 4 screws or will removing the lower left cause any issues w/ excess venting/vacuum problems... If needed I can find a flathead to help out.

Also, thank SO MUCH @Machine, the seat is PERFECT!!! now I just need someone to buy my Mike's Cafe seat and I'll be all square! I foolishly removed the seat "catch" bar to fit the standard Cafe seat originally, but it's not a big deal to not have it, as the hinges do just fine catching the seat from going over too much. Otherwise its a PERFECT fit, so nice looking.

Attachments

• 20191118_231936_HDR.jpg
    20191118_231936_HDR.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 20191118_232618_HDR.jpg
    20191118_232618_HDR.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 184
Any thoughts for the breather screw? Is that one needed to keep things sealed??
Well, worst case... it'll "breathe" a little at the gasket as well as out the tube. It won't hurt anything except possibly dribble a little oil.
Having said that, it's seldom a good idea to omit screws the factory deemed were needed.

The pic may be deceptive but it looks like the cable bracket has enough strength at the 180 bend by the tappet cover stud to be ground down a little ?
That would be beneficial in the long run as you would occasionally access the valve tappet for clearance checks.
You are close to using the stock dome nut as is ?
-R

It's crazy how tight it is in there w/ the carbs.... adjustments will be, fun?

Anyone have any luck/thoughts w/ a simple choke pull for the EX carbs?

The pic may be deceptive but it looks like the cable bracket has enough strength at the 180 bend by the tappet cover stud to be ground down a little ?
That would be beneficial in the long run as you would occasionally access the valve tappet for clearance checks.
You are close to using the stock dome nut as is ?
-R

Tappet cover can be removed w/o issue as seen in the picture.

Helpful information: Motion Pro 01-0052 throttle sleeve fits beautifully in the Mikes right hand controls.

Speaking on throttle: the stock throttle cable (from Mikes) does NOT work out of the box w/ EX-500 carbs. I trimmed it a few times at the carb end, but ended up cutting off a skosh too much (didn't measure, sorry). The handlebar end adjustments help take up some of the slack, and the throttle tube finishes up the job, so everything should work just fine now.

W/ purchase of @Machine seat (still need to sell my cafe seat, someone buy it!) - running total: $1472.71

Long term goal for the build: Patina Sleeper - 700, Shell #1, stock-ish looking exhaust, etc etc. The current build-up is a good foundation for this goal, and I won't have to bother myself w/ paint/powdercoat. Step 1 is getting it back on the street!

A HUGE shoutout to @timbeck for sending me a 30T 520 rear sprocket for free!!! Going to be getting a 16T front to get a 1.88:1 gear ratio (stock is 2.00:1 assuming 17/34). Should be a good combo.

Also, thanks @figure8 for the heads up to contact Tim!!!

:thumbsup: 30÷16=1.875 put some ponies on that rear tire (what size btw?) and we'll wait to hear just how fast your XS hot rod will go!

Back