My $Free.99 Project

Excellent! Thanks 5twins!! I recall seeing your post about the side stand modification ages ago. But the center stand info is great!

One question: I know on my old goldwing, there is some telltale signs of frame fatigue under the center stand, necessitating frame repair. Does the XS suffer from any other known issues like this?

I've never seen frame problems, just stand problems. The centerstand tangs are prone to breaking off, sometimes taking the foot or part of the leg on that side with them.

2V1zBtd.jpg

Yamaha was aware of the problem and added more bracing to the tang on the last couple years of production .....

RD5urGJ.jpg

I add my own triangle plate brace to the earlier stand tangs when I repair one, or even before it breaks to prevent the failure in the first place .....

QOF59xn.jpg

And both stands will benefit greatly from having grease nipples installed on their pivots .....

ay3RJMa.jpg

v9nUM5X.jpg

The difference this makes on the centerstand is close to amazing. The long pipe pivots that the mounting bolts pass through bind up big time if allowed to get dry and rusty. Sidestand operation will become smooth as silk.

Love budget builds.......

Well this will be my first dedicated budget build, so it's exciting for me, as I've never been frugal/thrifty/penny pinching/budget. I usually throw money at a problem until it goes my way, haha!!

But like I said before, some areas (suspension, brakes, electrical, etc.) won't be full on budget, as I want ideal reliability and safety. But I'll keep the patina, because it's cool!

I've never seen frame problems, just stand problems. The centerstand tangs are prone to breaking off, sometimes taking the foot or part of the leg on that side with them.

2V1zBtd.jpg

Yamaha was aware of the problem and added more bracing to the tang on the last couple years of production .....

RD5urGJ.jpg

I add my own triangle plate brace to the earlier stand tangs when I repair one, or even before it breaks to prevent the failure in the first place .....

QOF59xn.jpg

And both stands will benefit greatly from having grease nipples installed on their pivots .....

ay3RJMa.jpg

v9nUM5X.jpg

The difference this makes on the centerstand is close to amazing. The long pipe pivots that the mounting bolts pass through bind up big time if allowed to get dry and rusty. Sidestand operation will become smooth as silk.

Holy smokes 5twins, this is GREAT, thank you! As I've always said, nipples are amazing things!!!

Per 5twins advice, got a VR-115 voltage regulator to play nice with the stock electronics. Took advantage of ebays 15% off everything sale and got it for $20.82, which is cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Running total: $525.77

Was digging through some parts boxes for my XS projects and found a "spare" Gordon Scott fork brace. I'm not sure if I'll run it or not, as I can't speak to the fender clearance. Maybe it will be sold to help this build along

In the process of moving the bike to its new storage location, I found out the stock shocks that were on there were a complete joke (pretty much pogo sticks!). So I installed the Triumph ones and everything worked as it should. And just like 5twins said, the center stand was much easier to deploy!! All I have left to do on the shocks is replace the lower bushings so the bolt fits through without any slop. I'll probably try to press out the stock ones and reinstall them.

Also, i threw on the cafe/sport seat I bought from gggary back in October and noticed it's going to need some tweaking to fit. It's a little too far forward and to the left, so I think some tweaking/modifications to the seat hinges are in order.

I'll also need to get a seat latch, and probably the latch lock and key, so if anyone has the frame mounted lock and key, please let me know! I'll certainly take donations if anyone has parts!!

Yes, that illusive seat/helmet lock. For some reason, this commonly goes missing. Mine was M.I.A. on my '78 when I got it. I scrounged one from an XS500. Yamaha still sells it (must be a big seller, lol) but I think it's probably out of your budget .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-584-24705-00-00.html

As you can see by the model listing, there are a few you can scrounge from. There were several different types used on the 650 over the years. This is the one you're looking for .....

7tOWNf9.jpg

jgiJa6t.png

Examine the mounting plate. Some models (like mine) use countersunk Phillips mounting screws. You'll see the beveled holes if so. Others, like my buddy's '80 SPII, use normal flat head screws or bolts. The mounting holes in the plate won't be countersunk. My buddy is on his third lock because he was mounting them with the beveled Phillips screws when he should have been using normal ones. The screw heads made little, if any contact with the mounting plate and wouldn't stay tight. The locks fell off, lol.

l9pCEiC.png

Even with the proper mounting screws, for some reason this is one of those parts on the 650 that constantly comes loose. Probably why you find so many missing. Get into the habit of checking the mounting screws any time you flip the seat up.

And you may not necessarily need a key with the lock, not if you get one that uses the same key blank as the other locks currently on the bike. Then you can just "re-key" the lock, change the wafers inside, so it works with your existing key. So, how do you figure that out? Well, start by finding the 4 digit key code stamped on the face of one of your current locks (tank, ignition). In my last pic above, you can see it on my "new" seat lock (3273).
Then find that number in this chart from an old Yamaha tech bulletin. That will tell you the blank number you use .....

rvaxJhS.jpg

In my case, I lucked out. My "new" lock happened to use the same blank (1214) as the bike's other locks. A few wafer swaps and/or changes later, I had a seat lock that operated with my original key.

So I'm pretty sure I'd like to go a different route on the exhaust for the build. I think some stock headpipes with cheap megaphones would be just fine, what's everyone else think??

Anyone have any solid headpipes/headers available? If I go this route, then I'll have the 2-1 up for sale as well as my 1.75" ya-mama pipes (although figure8 might have 1st dibs on these).

So if I do use the 1.75" ya-mama style pipes, I'd need to get the optimizers. Omar's seems to have the best price on the full "kits". Does everyone this this is the best bet w/ making big pipes work on a stock motor?? It seems like the best budget option I have right now. (I sure do love his Hooligan pipes!!! But they are far outside the scope of this project)

http://www.omarsfiberglass.com/omars-exhaust

Since you're on a budget, you may be able to make your own headpipe inserts from the ends of old junk stock headpipes (if you have any). I did this for just normal 1.5" replacement headpipes and it made a nice difference, the bike was much freer revving afterwards. I didn't make them as AR inserts, my intention was a better, more solid (leak-free) mount to the head. Well, they did that wonderfully but I think I also got some AR benefits as well.

dmLBi4r.jpg

1rc0sYU.jpg

I also fabbed up a pipe ring to fully fill the step in the exhaust port .....

vkoaWPS.jpg

OGYLZGG.jpg

I need help sourcing EX500 carb parts. Does anyone have a recommendation for components? I'd like a 138 main, 38 pilot & JJJ needles w/ clips, maybe someone has some extras around they can part with?

I've emailed jetsrus, but he can't get the needles. Frankly, I don't like dealing with them whatsoever, as I've ordered multiple times in the past, was sent incorrect/incompatible parts and they refused to even acknowledge my communication attempts after calling me a liar and thief for trying to get free parts off them...

Am I "stuck" going to the dealership?

I'd like to sell the 2-1 from the pictures (full system) and the ya-mama pipes I have.

I'm fairly certain figure8 will want the mama pipes, but I have the 2-1's open for sale. I was thinking around $150 shipped? I only want to make enough off the pipes to fund the new pipes, not looking to get rich!

I'd like to sell the 2-1 from the pictures (full system) and the ya-mama pipes I have.

I'm fairly certain figure8 will want the mama pipes, but I have the 2-1's open for sale. I was thinking around $150 shipped? I only want to make enough off the pipes to fund the new pipes, not looking to get rich!
150 shipped.And I gave you the bike for free.

You sure did Ron, and I'm VERY grateful for that. But that doesn't mean that I've to keep it exactly as I found it. If you read the sentence after that, I stated that I'm not trying to make any money, just simply break even with replacement pipes, whatever they might be. If I had more time and less projects, then this old girl would already be back up and running!

On another note, I FINALLY got my carb jets and needles in from Carbparts.com after being stuck in customs for 2+ weeks. They were quick to answer my concerns and they quickly mailed me out the missing needle clips. I understand the customs issues, so I can't fault them for that, so I would recommend them for others based on my single experience. If/when I need new jets, I'll be giving them my business again over Jets R Us any day of the week!!!

Back