Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
Hey guys...so my best friend was killed on the 3rd riding his bike home to his family....he was only 27... It wasn't even anything outrageous...just a young women driving an SUV didn't see her red light....no speeding or drinking...just chance basically.... I'm having a really hard time dealing with this because I just saw him 3 weeks ago and were supposed to bike/hammock camp in a week...

I was wanting to just sell both my bikes, or just the chopper and literally everything that comes with either if anyone is interested..... I'm out of money to work on them anyway... Both run, they just need a few minor parts....

I'm not sure how to deal with this...He's my 3rd friend in under 2 years to die but he was my only other friend out of 2 with a bike I can ride with, and with riding a bike and having a family I'm not sure what to do.

Grimmith,
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I know how you’re feeling now, I too have lost friends to motorcycle accidents. It’s hard to swallow and get past. Sometimes it’s hard to reconcile the fact that a sport we all love can be so inherently dangerous. All we can do on our end is to stay vigilant and practice safe riding habits. As to whether you stay in the sport or not, only you can decide that and no matter what choice you make , it will be the right one for you.
I know for me personally and others I know. I got out of riding when my kids were young and picked it up again 20 years later.
Do what is right for you.
Take care,
Bob

Grimmith, I too experienced losing a best friend on a bike. Mine was just over 10 years ago, and he passed minutes after leaving my house. It's a hard pill to swallow for sure. I was reluctant to get back on a bike again, but I did. Riding was not quite the same though. Since then I've had a kid, got married and started a family. That lifestyle change really slowed down my riding habits and ultimately I sold my bikes until about 2 years ago. I still enjoy riding. I still think of my friend every time I swing a leg over a bike. I know he wouldn't have wanted me to quit riding when he knew it was such a huge part of my life. Riding is still not quite the same for me though, but that is partly because I don't have any riding buddies. My riding time is still pretty limited due to having younger kids at home too. My suggestion is, if you need cash, pick your favorite bike and sell the other. Even if you park it in the back of the garage and take a hiatus, you will still have one if/when your passion for riding returns. Mine did, and I hope yours does too. Time will heal all wounds. So sorry for your loss -- Willis

riding a bike and having a family I'm not sure what to do.
I wouldn't do it if I had a family. Not that riding is a death wish, but face it, it does increase their chances of being without you, as would lots of other activities. I would not put them in that position. For everybody without a family, traffic safety has to be what you think about. Take every MSF course you can. Join motorcycle safety channels on youtube and watch and think about the videos. You have to assume there is a red light runner at the intersection you're coming up on. Slow down and watch him and let him run it...oh, he's not here this time...go on through...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your friend Grimmith. ...........To close to home when this happens to a close friend.........

Not something i feel advice can be given in a case like this, it is up to you and how you feel and any consideration taken due to your personal circumstances.........

.running a Red light .........there is a 3 second interval after the orange light turns red till the opposite traffic light turns green.....This is in Australia and in NZ........so there is really no need for this to happen, i hope the driver gets what is due to them. It is vehicular manslaughter at the least

I am so sorry about your loss. I too have lost friends to bike accidents. My advice is trust NO ONE!!! Especially in this day and age.You see a car? Expect him to come out in front of you. Ride left. See everything for as far as you can. Again. Trust NO ONE! Ride safe.

We lost 7 motorcyclist last week in New Hampshire , 3 more in serious condition. A Hot Shot truck driver that should not have been on the road because of a DWI in Connecticut crossed the center line. Sometimes no matter how careful you are there are drivers not paying attention/texting etc.
tim

Back