My Garage

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Im having issues in "My Garage". I'll have an idea on a XS and take off with it. I live on a busy street in a small town. Seems like everyone and their brother stops by with an opinion. Not only does this slow down my production, it hinders my creativity. Freaking sucks. "Do this. Don't do that. I've seen this on the Internet. This is that style and that is this style, you can't mix styles...." It's always something and it's driving me flipping crazy. I like how when it's not their money, "buy this and buy that. Have this done and that too." I'd love to put 20k in a vintage Yamaha but it's not gonna happen. Maybe when I pay my house off. Haha! I'm venting a lot here but please, I can't be alone. Does anyone else have a hangout garage? Is there a polite way to tell people to fuck off? Bottom line, I get shit done. I've put together 5-6 motorcycles in the last 2yrs. Flawless of course not but they're done. A lot of these stopper bys = none done. Like Nike " Just do it" It's so bad when I get a call/text saying "What's up?" I reply "Not a damn thing. I'm busy."

I hang out in my bike port or my Mancave/workshop/hideout. Boombox or cheap stereo and my tools is all I need. OK, that and my soda drinks. Nobody has bothered me either place. In the bikeport I hear the radio and the first responder sirens and choppers from the police and/or Border Patrol. EC-130s, A-10Cs or the odd F-16s from D-M AFB .

Hi JRay,
in the winter I keeps my garage door closed so I don't get frostbite.
In summer I keeps it open and if anyone sticks his nose in they are welcome.
Ain't nobody gonna out-BS me in my own garage.

Move to the rurals. The only meighbor that comes over just wants to trade beer/weed for chicken eggs

Agreed. Keep the rock & roll on (quietly to be considerate - but keep it on) and keep the BEvERages flowing.

The real secret of limiting "helpful visitors" I have discovered, is to sing along to the music. A few lusty verses of "China Grove" (Doobies) or "I can't get no...satisfaction" (Stones) along with some enthusiastic, but tasteful air-guitar and perhaps a drum solo played with two Vessel JIS screwdrivers on a wooden workbench, and they quietly and slowly start backing away......

Ahhhh, after a lifetime of hard work, peace in the sanctuary.

In the summer, usually on a Saturday morning, I will start my bikes one by one and ride them around the lake where I live. I will park them around my flag pole in the front yard. There is usually one or two that aren't mine, waiting for tire changes or other small jobs. People stop and look them over as if they're for sale!!!! According to my neighbors I am buying and selling motorcycles left and right. I live at a Home Owners Association run private lake. I have never sold a bike my whole life, this could cause big problems for me with the association, like a lean on my house.

My Mail Lady has been creeping me out lately too. She pays way too much attention to my bikes and the visiting bikes and what she's delivering and where it's from. She's a federal employee, I'm expecting an IRS audit and I'm ON DISABILITY.

Don't know why I shouldn't be able to park my bikes in the front yard, leave my garage door open and why can't people mind their own business without thinking I'm doing something wrong or running an illegal motor vehicle business.

Scott

Hi JRay,
in the winter I keeps my garage door closed so I don't get frostbite.
In summer I keeps it open and if anyone sticks his nose in they are welcome.
Ain't nobody gonna out-BS me in my own garage.
Had my doors closed last night. One came a knock in'. Then to the rant! Haha! I've actually learned a lot from you in this forum. Thanks!

Move to the rurals. The only meighbor that comes over just wants to trade beer/weed for chicken eggs
Funny story about weed. I got some off my neighbor. I go to spin one up and found some white hairs in it. What the hell?! Hope this ain't his head or beard hair. So I asked, he said his little white dog likes to rub on his plants. Haha! Truely a Cheech and Chong scene!

In the summer, usually on a Saturday morning, I will start my bikes one by one and ride them around the lake where I live. I will park them around my flag pole in the front yard. There is usually one or two that aren't mine, waiting for tire changes or other small jobs. People stop and look them over as if they're for sale!!!! According to my neighbors I am buying and selling motorcycles left and right. I live at a Home Owners Association run private lake. I have never sold a bike my whole life, this could cause big problems for me with the association, like a lean on my house.

My Mail Lady has been creeping me out lately too. She pays way too much attention to my bikes and the visiting bikes and what she's delivering and where it's from. She's a federal employee, I'm expecting an IRS audit and I'm ON DISABILITY.

Don't know why I shouldn't be able to park my bikes in the front yard, leave my garage door open and why can't people mind their own business without thinking I'm doing something wrong or running an illegal motor vehicle business.

Scott
Maybe the mail lady wants some luvin? Give her a ride on a bad motorscooter? Hell Yeah! How far are you from Waterford MI?

I moved to the country where I can crank up the stereo when I want, especially the garage. The neighbors are all out huntin' or fishin' or 4-wheelin'.

Perhaps you could put a sign in your yard saying, "Bird Flu Quarantine Area."

I moved to the country where I can crank up the stereo when I want, especially the garage. The neighbors are all out huntin' or fishin' or 4-wheelin'.

Perhaps you could put a sign in your yard saying, "Bird Flu Quarantine Area."
I have my wifi entitled "FBIVAN1" that still doesn't scare them off. True story!

Maybe the mail lady wants some luvin? Give her a ride on a bad motorscooter? Hell Yeah! How far are you from Waterford MI?

Waterford township is about 130mi northeast of me. The nearest shopping for me in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio is all 20 miles away in different directions. Gotta run, I think the Mail Lady's at the door.

Scott

JayRay77, Celina Ohio, We almost live on the same road. 127 goes to Bryan, Ohio 15 goes straight north from Bryan, 15 turns into Michigan 99, I'm just off 99 two miles north of the Michigan/Ohio border.

Scott

Hard to say man, friends stopping by for garage time has always been good by me, sure shit slows down a bit and sometimes turns into downright ridiculous drunken thunderdome, but life's short and at the end of the day friends and family are what make it worth living. If people are bugging you just start keeping a bottle of whiskey and a .45 on the work bench by you, if they ask for a drink and compliment your fine piece of colt you know you've made a good friend, if they look frightened just get all wide eyed and explain it's for the morlocks.

Funny story about weed. I got some off my neighbor. I go to spin one up and found some white hairs in it. What the hell?! Hope this ain't his head or beard hair. So I asked, he said his little white dog likes to rub on his plants. Haha! Truely a Cheech and Chong scene!

"Labrador? Had to follow the dog around for three days" ha!

Hard to say man, friends stopping by for garage time has always been good by me, sure shit slows down a bit and sometimes turns into downright ridiculous drunken thunderdome, but life's short and at the end of the day friends and family are what make it worth living. If people are bugging you just start keeping a bottle of whiskey and a .45 on the work bench by you, if they ask for a drink and compliment your fine piece of colt you know you've made a good friend, if they look frightened just get all wide eyed and explain it's for the morlocks.

Yes. It's why I'm here. If friends count for anything, I consider myself a wealthy man. I hope I meet some of you at 2017 rallies..

I don't live on a busy road but I do have friends who tell their wives they are going for a ride and if my garage door is open they know I'm probably working in the garage and there will be beer (really good beer) available. I consider myself fortunate.

Mixing styles is greatly encouraged. Mine is a complete mix and is nothing specixic except that is in my head. Best part is when anyone with a bike says anything, I say back, thats a nice bike you got, i have several friends that have one just like it.

Just tell them the good news is when tbey build one they can do it how ever they want. You of course realize all those nay sayers are jealous or generally hating that you can do it?

Realize what it is and all that becomes funny.

Best of luck!

Back