My girlfriend was right; this just got expensive

It depends on what year you have, and I don't see that with a quick scan. Congrats on the BRC. I took the MSF version and it's saved my life more than once. If you show you took it you might be able to get a discount on insurance.

Here's a thread on the reg and rec replacements. For your '77, you would want the VR115 regulator or one of it's equivalents. They're about $25 at the auto parts store but if you watch eBay, you should be able to find one for $10 to $15. Your old stock mechanical regulator is a real tank and will probably continue to function for many years, but it's output is very inconsistent. The voltage jumps all over the place. This puts more strain on the "big ticket" or expensive components in the system, the stator and rotor. For that reason, I recommend changing the regulator now, or soon.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/regulator-rectifier.21485/

I don't think the mechanical reg heats the rest of the charging system any more than the auto store reg, but ppl do seem to like the auto reg.

God, I should have known better. I Bought this bike for 1900.00 a week after my divorce/custody
Decree was finalized (it didn't go my way). She was upset because she’s responsible and didnt think I should be spending so much money when I need to be saving.

Once the decision to divorce has been made and finalized, your responsibility is to the children, (if any), and as long as your providing for them and they are safe yur X has no say in your personal life decisions for your own happiness.........................Reverse the conversation and.see she likes it if you told her she couldn't afford makeup so should save and go without................Dream conversation due to the lack of commonsense from females who are in this position. LOL

Oh! I should clarify- my CURRENT girlfriend was upset when I told her that I bought a bike for two grand, when I should be saving for a future and now have child support payments to make as well. (I’ve been paying this same amount since I filed in June of ‘16, but everyone including my attorney was confident I was going to get custody, so I was anticipating being 450 up a month once the tables turned and my ex was going to be paying me. In my girlfriends defense, I didn't consult her (which we had agreed we would do for big financial purchases) and it was kind of an impulse buy. Basically I had been eyeballing these two XS’s on the local craigslist for a couple weeks, a hardtail that “needed a few things to get on the road” and the stock one I bought. They were both listed for 2,000.00. The divorce/custody order came through Thursday night, March 1st, and I was devastated all weekend. Monday evening I thought I’d scratch the itch and called the guy with the stock bike. Turns out he lived like 3 minutes away from me. We talked cars and bikes, and he tells me he has the bike on Ebay as well, no reserve, and the auction ends at 10:00 the following morning. He says ebay won’t let you cancel the auction in the last 12 hours, so come take a look and if I want it, he’ll let me buy it. When I got there and he started it and I saw how clean it was and I had the money in the bank to buy it, I had to take it that evening or walk away and know that I didnt and keep putting off a dream I’ve had for 7 years for who knows how much longer. I never wanted to sell my chopper last year, and I just couldnt walk away. She works a few hours away for 4 days a week, and she had a busy day that day, So basically the first time we spoke on the phone that day went like this- “Hi honey. How was your day?” “Well, I just bought a motorcycle.” In my defense, I did try to call her on the way to the guys house, and she didn't answer.

Last edited:
The waitress at the diner down the road left her husband the day he bought a Harley. Don't really know what that has to do with anything.

Scott

^I worked at a place that was owned by a filthy rich family. One of the sons was our boss. Another son was state treasurer or something. The son who was our boss quit for some reason unknown to us and soon after that he was riding a Harley of some kind, stopping in at a store I was at, in full shiny new leather. I mean full and shiny. A Beverly Hills biker. Don't know what that has to do with anything either. But I think it says what's enviable is up for grabs.

A64C5619-0388-49EC-B69D-24DE02CEE9E7.png
DE94934A-2873-4599-AA8D-114B7A85BBA9.png
C6CBAD5B-96A4-4AD6-87A5-6569675E35BE.png
I have a box of spare speedometers. Send me a pic of yours and if I got one like it, it's your for twenty bucks. I'll throw in a cable too.
I won't tell your girlfriend either... :)
Hey! Sorry I never replied to your message about the speedo. These are pics of one on Ebay Just like mine. Note that the one I have does NOT have the high beam and neutral indicators in the gauge; they are in a seperate cluster. I just bought a new cable, so I don’t need one of those. Let me know if you have one like this!

I sent you PM at the beginning of the month with pics of all of em I have. check your inbox.
I don’t see it? I’m not sure how to check my “inbox”. Is it in “conversations?” Because I don’t have anything in there from you either

Hmmm.... musta been someone else asking too.....
Hows this one?

3.jpg

Yeah.... it's angled just like yours. Has an orange needle though... compared to the white one on Ebay

They should be called EPMA's (Expensive Pain .....), lol.

On the instruments, there are also black or dark green faces.

On the instruments, there are also black or dark green faces.
Yeah... white needle and green face. Orange needle and black face. I don't have a white/green if that's what you need. If you're not worried about original/authentic for the 77.... I have a matching tach (black/orange) that I'll let go with it.

Yeah... white needle and green face. Orange needle and black face. I don't have a white/green if that's what you need. If you're not worried about original/authentic for the 77.... I have a matching tach (black/orange) that I'll let go with it.
As long as they fit in the bezels I have, that would be AWESOME! I’m not too worried about the aethetics of the gauges, I just need them to work! If I get one more moving violation before Feb. of ‘19 I will get suspended. Can NOT afford to be speeding.

Redline on the tach's a little faded.....

2.jpg

Hows 20 bucks for the speedo.... 30 for both? Plus shipping

Back