My herd just grew....

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Happy News biker buddies!

My bike collection grew by one today when my shiny new Suzuki SV650A arrived from the dealer.

CD32F45A-280D-448F-B34B-74CC9FD13524.jpeg

Yeah, I know it isn’t a Yamaha XS650 - but I’ve got two of those and I have no intention of selling either.

The problem is that my other modern ride is a Honda ST1300 which is a fantastic long distance mile-eater (kilometres in Canada, I guess) but it’s a bit much for commuting to work (6 miles each way). A friend suggested that it’s like taking a B52 to go drop off your drycleaning.

My Yamahas (a ‘76 Standard - the infamous Lucille and a yet-to-be named 1981 Special which is becoming a Cafe bike) are a ball to ride, but the el-cheapo vintage bike insurance I have on them prohibits me from commuting on them and my usage is limited to 3000 km/year - which is nowhere near enough for me. The other thing is that the Yamahas seem to require a fair bit of maintenance and fiddling and while I enjoy doing that, I don’t like having to count on them when I really need to get to work.

Sooooo.....obviously, I needed a modern, mid-sized bike for commuting and general booting around - that doesn’t require much daily fiddling.....

Ok, ok, ok - that all sounds like a bunch of bovine excrement to rationalize / disguise the fact that I simply wanted another bike - and if that’s what you think .....well, you’re right on baby!
ED2F86D1-27EA-49A9-A630-8CCE7AA4E7B7.jpeg

The Suzuki’s journey to my garage is quite the tale of woe. Its about a 2-beer story, but in short, I actually agreed to buy the bike in (I think) late October and planned to pay for it over 3-4 months to spread the pain - but then to get the 5-year warranty, they decided that I need to pay all of it by the end of 2017. I argued that successfully and it seemed that all was well until a couple of days after Christmas when they moved my bike from the showroom to the storage barn for the rest of the winter.

That night - the frickin’ barn burnt to the ground...... (check out “Hully Gully fire”)....

...and not one of the more than 150 bikes survived (including some bikes still in crates, some new customer bikes, some older ones in winter storage and a few valuable vintage bikes plus a whole whackload of snowmobiles and waterski boats). My beautiful blue SV650 was gone - just a puddle of melted aluminium and plastic. It really was a terrible fire and a lot of people came out much worse than me - although there were no fatalities and even the watch-dog got out OK. For example, the paper reported that one guy had bought a brand new Yamaha 900 sport bike and had fully paid for it - but had not yet arranged his own insurance coverage - and now he has nothing to show for his $17,000 purchase except the 2017 Yamaha brochure.

My bike hadn’t been fully paid for and so it wasn’t in my name at the time of the fire. The dealer offered me a matte black bike for the same money, but I really wanted the blue and so I held out till they found one. The (second) new blue bike turned out to not be a demo unit and so there were freight and PDI charges on it. I pointed out that I hadn’t known that my original bike was a demo (it had 0.4 km on it when I agreed to buy it), it wasn’t my choice to move the bike to the barn, nor did I burn the barn down. Anyhow, we see-sawed back and forth on that issue and I wound up with big discount on the freight and PDI plus a $500 gas card and free delivery today (the dealer is about 220 km away) - so I’m happy.

Anyhow, that’s my latest motorcycle adventure - in the cold dead of a crappy long winter (am I a disloyal Canadian?) - I hate this weather.

Anybody else want to describe the other bikes in their fleet?

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Yay Pete! You finally got your little pocket rocket home! I have to live vicariously through you pal, I hope to be reading a ride report soon! Congratulations and enjoy your new bike!

Thanks guys - I’ve read all the tests and this thing is supposed to be great. I did a test ride last May and really liked the riding position (very much like an XS650 Standard as I recall - but with 75 HP).

Come on spring!!!!

Happy to hear she's home safe and sound finally Pete. I've been hearing lots of stories around town of what happened to many different customers as a result of the Hully Gully Fire. I have driven past their place several times and it's a pretty sad looking pile of twisted molten steel and rubble.
Glad to see she's tucked in safe and sound where she belongs.
Can't wait to see her in person. Congrats!

image.jpeg
I'm with you on the maintenance. I have three XS 650s and each one runs but requires constant TLC. I just wanna go on nice days, Ha! Nice new ride you have! I know nothing about that bike but I'll look it up. Right now, my 2010 Speedmaster has taken a shit. This was my daily, reliable, get on and go ride. Looks like some $100s to get this back in action. Electrical issues.

Thanks guys - I’ve read all the tests and this thing is supposed to be great. I did a test ride last May and really liked the riding position (very much like an XS650 Standard as I recall - but with 75 HP).

Come on spring!!!!
I bought an RD350 in the dead of winter 72 (or 73... not sure which anymore). It sat in the barracks parking lot gettin' snowed on 'till I just couldn't stand it anymore. Finally got a day above freezing in Feb. (I think) and off I went. Froze my ass off. Took about two hrs. for the frozen smile to finally melt off my face.
Go for it Pete;)

Last new bikes I had would be 35 and 34 yrs old now. '82 BMW RS and an 84 H-D Low Rider. Sold the Beemer before returning to the States and the Hog got stolen before I returned. Got to ride her just few times.

The SV650 is a lot of bang for the buck. I bought an '03 model in December of that year--big discount involved. Figured that at its price point the suspension would need improvement, and a road test over a couple of washboarded dogleg corners confirmed the hunch--wicked on at the apex and the SOB danced itself off the line. With Race Tech emulators and fork springs, an Ohlins shock, and a pair of Pirelli tires, the beast held the line like a slot car. The SV was the most stone reliable bike I've ever owned, never a hiccup in the 10 years I owned it. It was a real joy as a solo machine, but a PITA with a passenger.

I'm glad you held out for the blue tank, Pete; IMO, the tank is the Jewel of the motorcycle.
Imagine a ring on your hand without the jewel.

upload_2018-2-3_7-0-53.jpeg

As we've chatted about, the SV650 appears to be the touring bike for me, too, once the FJR becomes too cumbersome; not too soon, I hope, as I love it still, and am putting a set of oval 18" Delkevics on it this spring.
The RD350 will eventually be done, but its too small in stature for me to ride regularly. I might switch it out with the '69 Bonneville in the living room, and get that going in the Spring. I stopped at a Triumph/Norton Resto expert nearby last week, and he is willing to advise me on any particulars regarding getting it going again.

So, until then, the licensed fleet still looks like this:
(sorta)
Group.pic 009style.sml.jpg

MaxPete,
Congrats on the new ride. How your riding position compares to a Special is beyond me. While I'm sure it'll be reliable and economical, it's hard to see the lineage of its ancestry. I agree with JimD54. It just doesn't look like a motorcycle. But an F-22 doesn't look like a Sopwith Camel....

Thanks gents! The one downside of the SV is the pillion rider accommodations . The seat is much too small for any woman I’d do and pegs are only around 12” below the seat. Other than that, it seems ideal for just about any riding I’d wish to do.

Pete

@JRay77: Electrical issues on a Brit Bike? Say it ain't so! :p

@MaxPete: Nice bike, I looked at them pretty hard before I bought the FJ. And I LOVE the poster. Stole it, as a matter of fact...

Congrats on the new bike Pete, I think you'll like it. My buddy has had one for a few years and basically for the same reasons as you, a dependable commuter. He has an XS650 as well, but as you mentioned, they're not the best for daily commuting. He does take his occasionally though. But that's all changed for him now - he retired, lol. So, he bought himself a retirement present, a brand new Honda, that retro styled CB1100. Now his SV650 is up for sale.

I'm also getting away from the big bikes. I don't take trips like I used to so have no need for one really. A mid-sized machine fits my mostly local riding better. Big and heavy enough to ride nice but small and light enough so it's easier to maneuver around town and in parking lots. The 650 size seems to fit that bill perfectly.

Pete, I resolved the passenger comfort issues with a few mods (my bike was a Gen. 2--separate rider and passenger seats and cast aluminum frame). My wife and I went touring on the SV several times. The problem was that although the bike was perfectly balanced for solo riding, adding a passenger destabilized it. If we got stuck in stop-and-go traffic, the beast would fight me every foot of the way. That's why I bought a used Kawasaki 650 Ninja a few years back and sold the Zook. The Kawi has a lower center of gravity and is very manageable with the missus on board, and though there's nothing obviously trick about the suspension, it works well enough that I haven't found an excuse to upgrade it.

That Zook 90* V-twin motor is a real shocker. Just try to process this. Static CR: 11:1. Redline: 11,000 rpm. Recommended fuel: regular (87 octane). Seat-of-pants power characteristics: Enough low-down torque to pull stumps and a power band broad as a barn door. Maybe the young guys can take that stuff for granted, but it still feels like some kind of sorcery to me.

Thanks for the comments chaps - agree with all. I’m hoping that some sort of aftermarket seat emerges from the interweb.

On the SV engine - yup, truly a remarkable piece of technology and search as I might, I can’t find many instances of any sort of internal failure. There are no stories of blown head gaskets, burnt valves or crank problems. Some early bikes seemed to have timing chain difficulties and there’s was a recall on the alternator stator (sound familiar...?) but this thing has been on the market since 1999 and those issues are all a decade in the past. Other than that.....squat in the problem department and Suzuki has sold upwards of half a million of these puppies. They will do 125 MPH, get 55 MPG (Imperial) and are quiet, smooth and as reliable as a block of rock.

I may live to regret saying this - but I’d venture that 20-50 years from now, people will be enjoying Suzuki SV650s in much the same way that we are all enjoying our Yamaha XS650s. Other models may be faster and quicker and handle better, but these two bikes seem to have a certain “right-ness” that simply appeals to a wide range of riders.

Pete

Last edited:
Back