My Intro/ Build Thread

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello All
I've posted a couple of messages here already, but I thought I'd take the time while I have it and properly introduce myself.
I just started riding this season...legally.

I'm on my second bike, a 1981 XS650H. My first was a 79 KZ400 that I found in a barn for really cheap. I fixed it up as much as I could do and then sold it to find a more reliable bike.

I found my 650 off craigslist for a good price. As I said, it's an 81 it has 8,000+ on it, and was taking very good care of by a gentleman who kept it in a temperature controlled garage it's whole life. He was sad to see it go, but he couldn't handle the bike anymore, and he only rode it around the block once a year.

Attached are some pictures of when I purchased her.

Since then I've got new tires, it still had the original tires from 81 on it. And I changed the bars to drag bars.

Now my plan is to "brat" it out to a point. I was hoping to keep it so that if someday i wanted to I could return it to stock without a problem. But I'm in the process of making a seat for the brat build and I can see that in order to get the look I'm going for I'm going to have to lose some of the original hardware...unless some one has an idea of how to keep it and still have the seat look like the picture attached. It's in such good condition I hate to cut her up, but I like to tinker and I want a custom bike so we'll see what wins out in the end.:doh:

Anyway, I'll try and document as I go. I want to be able to ride this summer, so I won't be doing anything that will prevent me from riding until the fall/winter.

Happy motoring to all and nice to meet you.:bike:

Attachments

• DSC00521.jpg
    DSC00521.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC00537.jpg
    DSC00537.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 277
  • photo-26481.jpg
    photo-26481.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 318
welcome, look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Thank you

I have a question...does anyone know what is happening with the air system on this bike?
It looks to me like they are running something like a stock system, but modified?

Thanks

Attachments

• xs650 seat.jpg
    xs650 seat.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 313
I think it's a faux oil tank, the breather tube feeds into there, where I assume also has a battery. Your bike looks like it's in fantastic condition. Wa wa wee wah.

Yeah, the PO kept the bike in mint condition. It has some minor rusting in the usual spots, but overall it's in great shape. But I can't handle it, I'm going to brat her out, I'm going to save as many of the original parts as I can, and work on less than desirable stuff. I.E. get a new tank to grind on, etc.
Sorry I wasn't clear before, but I knew there where velocity stacks on it, I was wondering why there was a breather tube on it...is that for the battery?
I was just trying to figure out what would make a good faux oil tank, where I could have the electronics and battery. Anyone have any suggestion?
Thanks guys for the replies.

- the breather tube feeds back to the crankcase ventilator in the back of the head...there may well be some kind of filter hidden behind the fake air boxes...quite a tidy solution really

So while waiting for the parts to my permanent magnetic alternator parts to come in I decided to work on my gas tank.
I stripped it and repainted it with rattle can paint. Flat black, and white.
Now I have to figure out how to mount it.
I like it low on the neck, but the coils are currently in the way. I have a pamco kit coming in so the coils are going to be replaced.
Has anyone moved their coils to a different location? If so where and how?
Otherwise, any suggestions on mounting?
I am planning on mounting the spedo on the neck as well.
Thanks

Attachments

• lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 265
  • upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 270
So I've been working like crazy on my bike and I thought I'd share some of the progress so far.

Right now I have a permanent magnetic alternator, no battery, a high output ignition system, kick start only, mustang motorcycle company tank.

Things I need to still work on and add are, a new led head light and tail light, new blinkers, and finish work I started on my seat pan. The original seat looks super stupid on it. Speedometer isn't working at the moment, I think it's just the cable.

Towards the end of the summer I'm going to add pod filters, and re-jet the carbs.

Then it's just some cosmetic work on the details.

Anyway, I'll try and take a picture of my electronics box, so you can see my capacitor setup. I should actually take a picture of all the stuff I took off the bike, along with the mountain of wiring I removed. :yikes:

I got a small trip around the block this morning for the first time in at least a month. :bike:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• front center.jpg
    front center.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 250
  • new tank no seat.JPG
    new tank no seat.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 278
  • center speedo.JPG
    center speedo.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 251
Back