My LED flasher woes

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
76, switched to LED flasher bulbs, so obviously I need an LED flasher.
With OE flasher, flashers light bit do not flash but what is apparent os how much brighter the LED side is vs the other side which only has the 1156 bulb.
So I ordered a LED flasher from superbrightleds, which doesnt do anything, broke or not I dont know.
I go to the local NAPA and pick up a EL-13 flasher, says for LED and same pin configuration.
Plug it in and it works but...LED side now not as bright as the stock bulb.
Check voltage leaving the flasher,
Always at least 11v going to the 1157
Never above 9v going to the LED
Is this why the LED is not very bright?
Is this a predictable outcome of any flasher, or just from the one I bought?

Thanks.

Interesting.
Never fooled with these newfangled flashers.
I wonder if the LED flasher uses an internal resistor or diode to measure current or voltage drop, reducing what's available to the LEDs.

In the ol' daze, there were 3-prong flasher units, that used an independent internal circuit to produce the flash timings, and could drive numerous lamps without affecting the timing...

Found these on Ebay. For $9 I had to try them. Just installed them yesterday in the rear. They're great. So far super bright. Just ordered another set for the front. More picts to come when done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Brig...&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

Oh, and about flashers. I found an adjustable led flasher on ebay and it works great also. It's so small, I installed it in the headlight.

Back