My new 1979 xs750 project

79xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Last weekend I picked up a 1979 Yamaha xs750. I found it on craigslist and it seemed like a good deal.

Here are the 'before' pictures I took of the bike in the previous owner's garage:
xs750before3_zps00dc92b4.jpg

xs750before_zps3e0ae19a.jpg

xs750before2_zps634784a6.jpg

You'll notice it has the world's largest fairing and luggage rack as well as a set of hard bags. The other 'bad' news is that the back tire is dry-rotted, there is no battery, and it doesn't run.

The 'good' news is that the bike has great original paint, and is 100% original except for the add-on touring stuff.

First, I removed the luggage and fairing:
CIMG0165_zpseba02282.jpg

These are vintage fiberglass bags with locks and keys. The mounting hardware/brackets are xs750/850 specific, but the bags un-bolt from the other stuff and would look good on most vintage bikes. I don't want them, so they are for sale REALLY cheap.

I had to remove the headlight and some wiring from the fairing and install the headlight back into the bike.

Then I gave it a good wash:
xs750strippeddown_zps83fc2a2d.jpg

I think it cleaned up really nice. I haven't done any polishing yet, that was just soap and water!

I put in a new battery, drained the old gas, and put in new gas, and toped up the oil. It fired right up!! All of the electrical works too... even every single 'warning' light! I rode it down the street and back, probably only 200 yards, but I wanted to test the clutch and tranny... and it shifts nice!

Now I just need to replace the tires and polish it up a bit. I love the factory 'café racer-ish' tail section. It opens on a hinge, like an xs650, and there is a plastic tool box attached to the fender underneath the tail section. Cool design!

I have been reading online about the xs750 a bit. Whats the difference between the "Special" / cruiser model, and the café racer-ish one? Is there any difference other than the seat and side covers?

Last edited:
The 750 is a much better long distance / highway bike than the 650.

Electronic ignition, shaft drive, smoother running... that's why I got it. Don't worry, I'm not selling my 650!

Cosmetically, I like the 650 better. but I have always liked the 750s too.

Shaftie don't handle so hot my memories of that triple. That was my college transportation at New Mexico Tech and University of Illinois spring,summer,fall,and winter. I still have my Hippo Hands from way back then. Nice triple motor to take college gals for rides! Very nice ride ya got.

Back