My new 73 TX650, why all aftermarket parts start at 74?

Bahlzout

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New to this particular forum. Just nabbed a 73 barn fresh with a lot (13,000) miles. Said it ran when parked, and it has a title! Wanted to do a flat track build. When I look for aftermarket stuff on mikes xs and other similar sites all the aftermarket crap starts at 74. What gives?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 159
70-73 were the 256 engine series. In 74 they went with the 447 engine series.
There were many changes to the engines. One was the connecting rods. A difference in the wrist pin made the later engines stronger.
The 447 engines were used from 74 on. 74-82 + is a lot more years than 70-73.
So they build parts to fit the more used engines.
Leo

The head pipes will fit to the engine. Where the head pipes attach to the frame just ahead of the mufflers wont. In 74 they did major changes to the frame. These changes include the way the exhaust hooks to the frame.
Leo

Flat track pipes and lots of other things will fit your bike fine. The outside dimensions of the engine are the same as the later models.

This 73 is near you (Hudson) it's very doable.

cafe racer.jpg

Nope the paint is worse than that. but I am closer.

00N0N_2q6ubfp92Vy_600x450.jpg

But hey iowa mark has fewer bikes so............

Hahaha! I would only consider trades, but I would wait and see if it runs first! I've actually wanted a 70's yami for some time...I do want to hack it up a bit and would hate to ruin it if it's worth more to someone else as a resto priject

Well, I have nothing to trade (with or without my little pony stickers). I had just noticed that your bike looked to be mostly all there and possibly restorable. My very first bike was a new '73, bought in Japan and assembled from the crate on the boat ride back to the states. I've often thought I might need another one. Some old guys get hair plugs and ditzy girlfriends. I plan on filling my barn with projects that take me back to the days when I knew what to do with a comb and that same ditz.:bike:

Is this your ad Bahlzout?

1973 Yamaha XS650 (Merrill )

00J0J_ep1394KPTW1_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map) (yahoo map)

Barn fresh! Been sittin a while. Just entertaining offers. Pretty complete. The exaust is kind of a hack job but lots of good parts. Getting much harder to find 'em of this vintage. It does have real nice tires on it and the seat was recovered. Haven't tried to start it yet. Will trade for something, but it should have a gas powered engine or go bang. Ps I have a title, I need to transfer it yet.

Yes it is. After this thread I figured I'd test the water. Like I said earlier I'm into the flat tracker look and this being a relatively complete early example I'd hate to "wreck" it.

But I don't want to turn this into a classified just introducing myself as a new member with a pretty sweet mostly original '73. If I go through with it I want original tank, upgraded rear shocks, most likely remotes, good bye air box and big seat in favor of something like Omar's offers. I have to re-read the thread about re-phasing cuz I had a sweet kz400 that vibrated like crazy, sounds like the thing to do (need to figure out if this motor will work for that). Oh yeah and a bitching set of hi-pipes, I really dig the two-into-one! number plates too! but want to make them as subtle as possible.

Back