My new motorcycle

sonny

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my first motorcycle. A 1983 heritage 650 special. I am getting no spark to the spark plugs. I put a tester on the two wires behind the coil that is located under the gas tank.They both read 12v. When trying to start they were both were at 19volts.I would apreciate any kind of help. Like i said this is my first motorcycle.

Welcome aboard.........the 83 has a side stand switch...if still there....that woud keep it from sparking if it was not working properly....try putting it on the center stand and side stand up and see if you have spark......and maybe joining the 2 wires at the switch in case it is faulty.....

xsjohn

id suggest setting up an alligator clip with spark plug grounded to the motor and check for spark at the plug....if you get nothing try a diff plug to rule out a spark plug, more than likely a bad coil

Just had that Problem on my new to me 82 heritage.
After bulling what little hair i have left for a week, The Haynes Manuel was not helping me, its Mostly useless I've decided.
I Bought the Yamaha Service Manuel off Ebay for my XS650SJ (worth every Dollar).

They added a side stand switch and a relay that is also connected to the Neutral Switch.
If that relay is closed no Spark. To get spark the side stand needs to be up or the Tanny in Neutral so the relay will open.
My relay was stuck Closed, Thus no spark.
I Carefully opened up the relay and unstuck the points and cleaned them with fine sandpaper.
Moisture had gotten in there.

the Relay is on the left side, Follow the wires from the side stand switch.
if its working when the key is turned on and the side stand is up or in neutral it will click as it opens, turn the off the key it clicks as it closes.
Easy Fix If you have the right info.

Could be the side stand switch , Might need taken off and Clean.
Nice Safety Feature I wish my 81 had this.
Ron

I pulled the swtich and butt spliced the wires together. End of problem and the nuisance that it may fail again in the future.

I have the motorcycle in neutral the neutral light is on. I had the ignition coil tested at a garage and they sai it tested good. This bike only has 3752 miles on it.

I tied the black and blue wire with a stripe together, still nothing. The guy i bought it from told me he thought the pick up was bad. How do you test that? I also tested both spark plugs grounded, still no spark.

Last edited:
When I got my '83, I went through all the connections with a bit of sandpaper/emery cloth and some di-electric grease. Also used a light probe that I sharpened the tip so's to poke in the wires to trace out voltage.

Thank you for the warm welcome I am wanting to get my bike up and running. I am excited. Altough it is hard finding parts. everyone tells me no, or discontinued.

Test the 3 prong plug from the piclup coil by........700 ohms or so from the center (sideways one) to each of the outside prongs.......there are 2 coils in the pickup......the sideways one is common..........

You would be well off to clean every wire connection including the kill switch and the multi connectors........kinda hard to get some of the multi connectors apart without 2 pair of pliers....sand paper coiled on a stick is what I used to get in those round ones ....I super glued a piece of sandpaper at the beginning and wrapped it around a small dowell.....and some sandpaper glued on a Popsicle stick for the multi's. .....and use dielectric grease on all connections.......it takes some time but can save untold problems........and find some too..........

xsjohn

Back