My "new" stock 72' project

CF-FZD

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, I had a 77 XS650 years ago and loved it,I picked up this bone stock unmolested 72' yesterday. Here is what I know about it so far.

It has just 13,000 miles, the guy has owned it since the late 80's last plated in 2007.
It will fire with fuel in the cilinders but I won't even try to use the rusty gas tank as it is.
The pull trigger decompressor/electric starter is intact and works.
It is 100% stock other then the tires, battery and maybe the front brake master. It's missing the original side cover and tank emblems and has a dent in the top of the tank along with a crappy paint job. The seat tray looks like it has had some fiberglass repairs.
The forks tubes are f**ked, they are rusted and pitted and will have to be replaced.
It was parked next to some source of heat (wood stove?) at some point and it burnt seat cover, melted RR tail light lens.

What should I do with it? I like the look of Cafe and tracker bikes, I do have the mechanical skills to build a bike like that but I will have to work on my patience and taking time on each part of the project. I'm NOT a purest in the least I have no interest in restoring it. It has far too many blemishes in the chrome, the pipes, on the wheels. I want a bike that looks cool and something I can beat the crap out of on the street. If you want the bike to restore I'll happily take your cafe style bike on trade.

I'd like to get a few ideas on where to start, I will start with the fuel tank I guess. I'm going to try electrolysis to remove the rust. I have sealant for aircraft fuel tanks I'll coat the inside with. Clean the carbs and get it running. If it runs ok I'll pull it all apart and start my build.

I look forward to getting some ideas, I have a ton of reading to do on hear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 337
Welcome to the site! Getting to be more than a few Ontarians here.

The search feature here is really thorough, you could research the different fitments of 34 mm and 35 mm triple trees here easily.

cheers

Hi CF-FZD and welcome,
looks like you have a better start-point than do many XS650 resurrectionists.
I'd suggest you do the least you can to get the bike back on the road and then simply ride it for a while as you decide what changes, modifications and upgrades to make.

Back