My on the cheap bobber build thread.

Unknowing victim.
DSCN0942_zpsa30985fd.jpg

I got the engine's top end pulled tonight and this is what I found.
DSCN0944_zps44099f5b.jpg

DSCN0945_zpsad4f5918.jpg

DSCN0949_zpsf935a105.jpg

DSCN0950_zps8a006997.jpg

The cylinders and piston's don't seem to be in too bad a shape.
DSCN0951_zpsb1da8759.jpg

Although the right side does have some what looks to be some staining? Maybe some old rust? It felt smooth.
DSCN0954_zpsc2d4dba7.jpg

DSCN0953_zps560da890.jpg

Here are the pistons.The rings were free.
right side.This is the side that was smoking when I first fired it up and cleared up shortly after.
DSCN0956_zps680fe9d2.jpg

left side.
DSCN0957_zpsbcf76a26.jpg

The rocker arms and cam looked good.
DSCN0948_zpsfc9060ba.jpg

When I went to pull the cam chain guide, I thought I'd screwed up when I found the plastic still on the guide,but it slipped right off when I pulled it out.Looks like the chain was holding it on there along with the factory crimp on the end of the aluminum. Really weird.
DSCN0947_zpsa826957b.jpg

DSCN0946_zps13cc00d1.jpg

Top of the pistons are pretty caked with carbon along with the head and valves.
I'll take the valves out and clean them up along with new seals and lapping them back in.I'm not sure what to do with the pistons.Let me know your thoughts on what I've got and what course to take.
The only trouble I had was pulling the oil line off,the compression fitting was a bugger.
That's all I got done tonight.

I started to clean up the head and the top of the pistons tonight after work.
I have the cylinder in the parts washer to soak overnight,it was pretty cruddy in and around the fins from 35 years of oil leaking.I'll pull the valves and finish cleaning the head tomorrow.

All right John.
Make sure you install the cam chain guide before you putting the jugs back on the case.
That way you can make sure the guide is centered in the tunnel.

Well done John!
That engine looks in decent condition. As for the pistons, a quick buff on the wire wheel will spruce them up nicely.
I think once you install a new head gasket, your smoke on start up should clear ;)

Thanks Paul. I wire wheeled the pistons and they cleaned up good.:D
The smoking problem had went away after I'd put some miles on when I first got her.:wink2:
I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.
Everything has gone well so far. Whelp, back at it.:)

Sorry fellers, no pics. I guess the boss took his camera home. He was putting one of his Yfz 450's back together.
I got the head back on and torqued down. Ran out of time to finish it up tonight.
Everything went good. I replaced the valve seals and lapped in the valves. Cleaning the 35 years of crap off wasn't much fun,most of the time was spent doing just that.
I'm thankful for the forum and all the information here,made the process easier.:thumbsup:
I'm gonna try and get back to the shop tomorrow and finish.
Still have the advance and breaker housing's,tappet covers and cam chain tensioner to install. If not I'll pull the carb's apart to get those ready.
I'm so ready to get her back together.:bike:

Thank you Paul. Yeah, I'm lucky to have the shop to work out of.Access to some tools I don't have at home. Parts washer and bead blaster makes life easier for sure.:thumbsup: Along with plenty of soap,water and compressed air!:D
I'll stick around the house today and work on the carb's.
Did I mention the screws on my throttle plates looked to be hacked on already?:doh:
I'll be pulling out the old Dremel if they give me any trouble.
Gonna sit on the bike and make some Vroom Vroom noises while out in the garage.:bike::laugh:

Ha Ha!! Yeah, that's me!:laugh: Should've been done awhile ago man.
I did all my thinking months back.:D I was gonna do my carb's today, but guess who took the parts to the shop!:doh:
I'll be taking the carb's in to work and doing them there.
In the meantime I'm seeing and hearing all these dudes riding up and down my street! It's driving me crazy! Damn sob's!:laugh: I'll try for next weekend for a fire and ride.:bike:

I got the engine sewn back up tonight and I'll start on the carb's sometime this week.
Wound up bead blasting the advance and breaker housing's to get the old gaskets and remnants of the seals off, man those seals were in there good!
Have a question, how far do the seals go in? I've got them flush with the inner edge of the housing openings.

Started on the carb's tonight after work.Pull the left one apart to replace the seals and had one screw that wasn't gonna give so I had to drill it out.Went pretty good,but I ran out of time to get it back together.Tomorrow and this weekend are a bust. Taking the kiddos to the movies on Friday and have a wedding to go to on Saturday along with some birthday parties on Sunday. Dang We are gonna be busy!

Hey John well at least you got a start on them.
I have a few thing to do this weekend too.
The high light is taking one of my grandsons to monster jam on Saturday evening.

Back