My on the cheap bobber build thread.

We went to the new Capt America movie last night in 3D. What a good movie,long,but good. Going to a Wedding reception with the misses in a little bit. Tomorrow is a Birthday party in Kansas city. Today would've been a great day for riding, in the mid 60's here.
Maybe next weekend...

I got the carb's back together and installed the new 32.5 pilots while I was at it.
Good news, the last butterfly screw backed out with no problems.:thumbsup:
I'm going for a good long day of getting the bike back together this Saturday.:bike:
I'll probably go ahead and run new fuel line too.

I got the engine home and my son and I wrestled it back in the frame tonight.:thumbsup:
We man handled it and no one lost a finger.:D
Saturday will be the fun part of getting her back together.
Shot a couple of pics after. Still plenty to do...
IM000012_zpsfd4657c4.jpg

IM000013_zpsed5dc073.jpg

I'm off to the parts store to see about a timing light and torque wrench. Guess who forgot them before he left the shop yesterday!:doh: Going together good so far.:thumbsup:I'll post pics when she's done.

Sorry guys no pics. I got her back together. I sat the tank back on and she fired right up,did a heat cycle and re torqued the head,set the timing and fiddled with the carbs. Bike never started this good before.Took it out and rode around town for a couple of good runs. It has more bottom end now,burbles a bit more than before,will have to spend more time tuning.The transition from idle to mid throttle is a lot smoother with no dead spot. Throttle is crisp and responsive.
I've noticed that the idle doesn't creep like it used to,throttle shaft seals seem to have fixed that problem.So far I'm happy as hell with it. Felt good to be back on the bike.
Looks like rain and crappy for tomorrow, yeah I live in Kansas. We have chance for snow Sunday night!
I want to thank 5twins for the pilot jet recommendation, seems spot on.

I got a chance to start the bike up and get a better look around for anything I might have missed and did find a little oil leak that seems to be coming from the oil tube base fitting.

Hey Paul, are you talking about the fitting at the pipe or the fitting to the case? Mine seems to be weeping at the case. I'll get it loosened up and flip the copper washer over and see if that does the job.

I took the bike out for a spin and started having hanging idle problems again. I got her back and sprayed carb cleaner around the carbs and found that the choke body gaskets were leaking! I tightened the screws up,that seems to have helped a lot.
I'm doing some searching to see if I can pull them off to either double gasket them or sand them on a piece of glass to flatten them a little.

I pulled the carbs today and sanded the choke housings flat,man were they warped!
Reinstalled them with new cap head screws. That seems to have done it for now.Installed new fuel hose while they were apart.:thumbsup:
Bike is running great! I tightened the oil tube fitting a little more and that seems to have taken care of the leak I had there. I still need to re torque the head again. Rolling right at 100 miles since I did the first re torque. It's been a good day for riding and couldn't be happier with how the bike is performing.:bike:

Found out how far it is to empty is yesterday evening. Bike started to cut out when I gave her some throttle and I was thinking, now what?! I pulled over popped the gas cap and did the shake. Nothing, switched over to reserve and found the nearest station. Right at 50mpg, not too bad considering most of that was blasting around town and the surrounding area.

Found out how far it is to empty is yesterday evening. Bike started to cut out when I gave her some throttle and I was thinking, now what?! I pulled over popped the gas cap and did the shake. Nothing, switched over to reserve and found the nearest station. Right at 50mpg, not too bad considering most of that was blasting around town and the surrounding area.

It's cool that Ya got her goin again.
I've had to use reserve 2 times.
That gets the brain pan hot.

Back