My PMA won't charge

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
An '81 H Pamco EAdv and HHB PMA
I have been getting no charging of my battery due to no output from the stator.
The other day I took the rotor off and inspected it. It was clean as could be, but the unit had gotten hot enough to melt the logo off of the rotor.
I took the stator off and inspected it. It looked new. Then today I repeated the tests. The ohm test was consistent. I took my connections out of the coupling to see that my soldering held up...it did.
Then I started the bike with the side cover off to visually and audibly inspect the rotor for noise or vibration...nothing odd. Glad my shift shaft seal held up.
Then I tested the voltage output from the three yellow wires with engine running and got no reading whatsoever
Reg rec tested fine and my connection to the battery is good.
It's got to be in the unit. But i can't think what could be wrong.
I don't know what, but I think it's time for a swap out. What do you think?
The bike runs great for about a half hour on the new battery, but I hate to be limited to half hour rides...
Has anyone just gotten a bad stator? That excessive heat could be a sign that the power generated by the stator and rotor is going nowhere and just making heat. Though the soldered connections on the stator look to be still intact
I am very frustrated. I have had numerous emails with Hugh, but now I am at the end of my rope with this unit.
But happy Memorial Day and thanks to those who have served our country and paid the ultimate price.
Peace All

The soldering from the three yellow wires to the stator has been an issue in the past. Either resolder those wires or ask Hugh for a replacement and he'll give you one.

A PMA rotor has permanent magnets, If these type of rotors get dropped or hit very hard they can loose their magnetism. A quick check would be to see if it still attracts steel items. If it does how hard is it to pull items away from the rotor? Easy or a bit tough?
Leo

Thanks,
The rotor is magnetized. It snatched up a number of sockets when I took it off and set it down.
And yes, I think I'll ask Hugh for a new stator and rotor.

Last edited:
Back