My rebuild...Stay tuned!

The sump is no biggie. No, you don't have to cut the chain, just slip the bearing's off both end's of the cam. The oil pump is under the clutch basket assy.,the Clymer's will give you proper direction. Looking at the pic's again, seem's like there is also some metel in there as well. Looks like it's the aluminium from the cam guide. The head does have to come off to replace the guide,too. Not so bad, though.

yeah it does look a lot like aluminum now that I look at it again. That sounds easy enough though

Whats a good procedure for flushing all the gunk out?

An air compressor with a siphon hose works pretty good. You know, one of those blow gun thingys with a hose attached? That way you can flush it pretty well going forward & reverse on the oil channels. The pressure isn't so high either. I use brake flush to do it, but I get it by the drum, 55 gallons. If no compressor available, you can use the aerosol cans of brake clean. Air is the best way, because you can then use the air to 'dry' it all up. Just be lighter around the seals, brake clean will dry them out if heavily cleaned.

Well, that would be ok for cleaning a large area, but you want to be able to get into the passages, and you need something like a blowgun with a siphon hose attached. Some blowguns have a couple hole drilled into the end of the barrel near the trigger so they will flow more air. Plug up one side & attach a hose to the other hole. That would work. If i knew how to make drawing's on the computer, I could show you what I mean, but I don't. Sorry, I am just a two finger picker on these thing's.
When I was in high school, bussiness class was a 'bird' class, if you just showed up, you passed. It was first period, so I usually slept off the night before.
Maybe if you stop by a parts store, a real one like NAPA where the people have been there for a while, they could show you what I am talking about. This is frustraighting for me, because I can't figure out how to explain it to you in simple, understandable terms. Not saying your at fault at all, no, it's all me.

Ok, the long tube has the holes i said. That is an extension that attaches to the body of the gun. You can bearly see the holes, but thats what they are for. More volumn. The shorter brass one without the rubber end also has the holes. If one hole is blocked off without blocking the whole tube, and you attached a hose to the hole that remains, you would have a siphon.

Gordon I'm so sorry! My computer only showed me half of your previous post, I probably sound like a complete dolt.
It definitely make sense to me now!
:doh::doh::doh:

Taylor, I just had a brain fart. Have you ever seen a siphon sandblaster? they have one at Harbor Freight. The one for liquid is the same thind except alot smaller. Go there & see that image. I think you will understand what I mean. A picture is worth soooo much.

Help's if I read what you post BEFORE i try to type!!!:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Here's some picture of the tops of my pistons. I think they look to be in good shape, What should I do as far as cleaning all that up before I put it back together though?
DSC00394.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

Taylor, if you take the right side engine cover off , the oil pump is right behind the filter area. A gear there also drives the tach. Pretty simple really. I have one off you can look at if you like.
I think thinner will take that crud off...A soft bristle brush. I think it's a good time to get that cam chain guide replaced. In my memory that last guy I think of that documented his top end job was RetiredGentleman. You might give him a yell.

Oh okay I should be able to get to the oil pump tonight.
I know it probably would be goo to replace the camchain now but I'm too stuborn. I replace the guide and there was no aluminum wear on it, only part of the plastica had come off the side and the chain looks fine from the human eye.

I almost have the valve guide out to replace them!

Okie dokie, So I got a garage at my apartment so I'm loading all the rest of my parts into a car and hauling them over. Should be running in about a week and a half!....

For some reason i'm not able to get the rocket feet off of the actual rockers...(?) i've doused them in penetrating oil for the last two days and even with a drill-socket attachment the nuts wont even budge, any ideas?

Thanks!

Chef

I think I found the source for 90% of all the problems i've been having: Worn out pistons, beat up valves, etc...

The woodruff key on the shaft of my oil pump (you know the tab that locks into the gear that spins the pump?) well it was completely missing. No idea where it ran off to, but it was gone and most likely gone long before the day i bought it last July... my poor bike probably wanted to kill me!

I blame the PO

Back