My rebuild...Stay tuned!

I have no idea John. The guy in Lawrence took one look at my pistons and said that they had been seizing, but must not have been bad enough to seize completely.
But i don't think I could have been getting any oil flow at all...

Yo yo! it's been a while but i'm making a little bit of progress. My bikes mostly assembled accept for the engine.

I dimpled my new pistons like xsjohn instructed, one piston has a few more dimples in it than the other but other than that they look good i think. after i drilled them 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the skirt with an 1/8 inch drill bit i smoothed it out with 600 grit sandpaper.

Tomorrow afterwork i'm taking my cylinders to the shop to have them bore them out. they charge $40 buck a hole and i've heard that this place is the best in town.

here's some pics:
DSC00401.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

ALRIGHT!
I got my cylinders home today from the shop all bored and looking good so my engine is about to get built back up reeaaall soon!

is there any helpful hints for installing the pistons and rings?

also what areas need gasket sealant and what kind of gasket sealant.

Here what i've got to work with:
DSC00405.jpg

Keep the thread locker, take the rest back. The only sealer you need is Yamabond or Hondabond, same stuff different label. Mike's sells the Threebond 1109 I think it is. Again the same stuff just a different label.
The rings, put the oil rin on first and set the end gaps 120 degrees apart. the middle ring goes next, set 120 from the top gap in the oil ring, the top ring 120 from the middle ring.
Put the snap ring for the piston pin in the pin hole to the inside of engine on both pistons.
A good coat of oil or assembly lube on the piston and cylinder, Slide the piston into the cylinder from the bottom. Keeping the pin clip on the inside. Work the rings into the cylinder with your fingers or a corner of your credit card.
Slide the piston in just far enough to cover the rings. Once you get the pistons in just that far, put your base gasket on the engine, roll the engine up so the studs stick out to one side.Slide the jugs down on the studs, keeping the cam chain and guides out of the way, Slide the jugs on far enough the you can slide the rods into the pistons. Once the rod holes line up with the pins hole slide the pins into the pistons and rods, instal the pin clips into the holes.
Once you have the pins and clips in place slide the jugs all the way on. roll the engine upright to install the head,cam an rocker cover.
Retiredgentleman has pics of how to do this. Not as hard as it sounds.

Okay those instructions are great! Should I do my cam chain right after I put the jugs on of wait till i have the valves and everything on and then rivet it?

Can you buy the three bond at yamaha/honda dealers or only online?
-Mikesxs says not to use the three bond with the head gasket, is that because the athena gaskets are pre-treated? i'm using an original OEM gasket that I have in a package I got on ebay a while back

Could you guys check these pictures of my cam shaft before I put the cover on for any errors. I did center the cam from the sprocket to the outside of the case, i used four different reference points so I'm pretty confident that it's centered. The chain is centered around the sprocket teeth also so that should be good. My bearings are pressed up against the cam.
Do you guys see anything that I need to address before I put the rocker cover on?
DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

Thanks!

cheftay

Last edited:
I dimpled my new pistons like xsjohn instructed, one piston has a few more dimples in it than the other but other than that they look good i think. after i drilled them 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the skirt with an 1/8 inch drill bit i smoothed it out with 600 grit sandpaper...

DSC00401.jpg

What's the goal ? Can you tell me more on that ?

For the dimpling my divits were not as deep.....more like the piston on the left near the bottom.....but it shouldn't make any difference........77 thou on my stockers and working fine......one guy said years ago as a joke ....why don't you just shoot them with a shotgun......:eek:

Another trick is to use a gram scale and balance the pistons......from inside take a bit out of the heavier piston to match the lighter one.........

xsohn

I want to tell you my friend, that I am proud of you for tackling a project like this. Most young men of your age couldn't give a damn about an old motorcycle. I'm looking forward to that day when we can ride ours together.
Did you ever test fit those foot pegs I gave you to see if they fit?

pierrax, the dimples are just a way of giving more lubrication to the cylinder walls where the piston skirts come in contact with them. i learned the trick from xsjohn which he learned it in the 70's. it could make the skirts wear a lot slower also

i think that's about it. i used a 1/8th inch drill bit but maybe 1/16th would work better to avoid making such large dimples...

thanks for the encouragement pumps! i did test out those pegs and they fit just like the originals, i'll see which ones look better once i get the engine in... the originals where chrome, the ones you gave me where black

no problem!

Here a few pictures of my bike now, It was a trip hauling it down three flights of stairs!
IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Also one of my exhaust header studs pulled out all the threads in the case so i'm going to have to pick up some heli coils today and see if I can fix that

good feeling eh!? I rebuilt my first one 3 years ago (78) and regretfully hard tailed it so i sold it. Now i am doing a 74 that i plan to keep stock-ish. even though this motor only has 9000 miles and i don't plan to rebuild it yet, i can't wait to fire it.

Back