My rephased Cafe Racer build is complete

C-Los SD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Finally finished my 77 rephased cafe racer.

This is what it looked like when I bought it last year. These pictures are in random order, I should have did a better job of documenting my build.

DSCN1150.jpg

I cut off the rear loop and made a battery and electronics tray.
frame.jpg

700cc JE Pistons
DSCN1181.jpg

Freshly painted frame...single stage
DSCN1186.jpg

Battery tray and solenoid. The Shorai Battery easily turns the motor over
DSCN1198.jpg

I don't like how this looks, but it I couldn't think of a cleaner way of a fuse block
DSCN1209.jpg

The coil brackets from Joker Machine work great
DSCN1196.jpg

Almost there
DSCN1197.jpg

Home made rearset brackets
DSCN1194.jpg

Final product
DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

Here is what is sounds like

I'm getting a lot of noise from the head area. I hope I just need a valve adjustment and it's not something serious. Anyone have any thought on the noise?

Forgot to list the mods.

Hugh's rephased 277 crank and cam
JE 700cc piston
Pamco Ignition
PMA swap
Mikuni VM34 carbs
Steel Dragon Performace V-stacks
Redwing Hammerhead Shocks
Race Tech cartridge emulators...these work great
Happy Dan's Brembo caliper bracket
Brembo Monster caliper
Honda CB750 master cylinder
XS750 Gas tank with Monza Gas cap
Airtech Streamline bubble tail
Motolanna triple clamp
Magura clip-ons

Lots of polishing

First class workmanship.....................well done:thumbsup:

Noise....................check that your camshaft chain tension adjuster has the "damper" washer.

I'll check the damper, what does it look like? can't really tell from the parts manual picture...is it rubber? I have that planishing hammer sound effect that goes up with engine revs. Hopefully that is my problem. Thanks!

I'll check the damper, what does it look like? can't really tell from the parts manual picture...is it rubber? I have that planishing hammer sound effect that goes up with engine revs. Hopefully that is my problem. Thanks!

The damper was missing from my bike. I found an old copper washer in my spare parts and drilled the centre hole slightly larger......................... it quieted my engine. I believe Mikesxs sells one that has rubber in it.

Where did you buy the Brembo caliper, and is that an OEM brake disk?

Attachments

• Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 512
What compression are those pistons? unusual to see over size pistons with no flat lip around the edge, I've got a set of 78mm in mine with a lip around the edge, would have thought they might have hit the head, what head gasket did you use? Hoos says to use standard.

Last edited:
Finally finished my 77 rephased cafe racer.

This is what it looked like when I bought it last year. These pictures are in random order, I should have did a better job of documenting my build.

DSCN1150.jpg

I cut off the rear loop and made a battery and electronics tray.
frame.jpg

700cc JE Pistons
DSCN1181.jpg

Freshly painted frame...single stage
DSCN1186.jpg

Battery tray and solenoid. The Shorai Battery easily turns the motor over
DSCN1198.jpg

I don't like how this looks, but it I couldn't think of a cleaner way of a fuse block
DSCN1209.jpg

The coil brackets from Joker Machine work great
DSCN1196.jpg

Almost there
DSCN1197.jpg

Home made rearset brackets
DSCN1194.jpg

Final product
DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0534.jpg

Here is what is sounds like

I'm getting a lot of noise from the head area. I hope I just need a valve adjustment and it's not something serious. Anyone have any thought on the noise?

You gotta be proud of that, the attention to detail is brilliant, enjoy it

very very very nice indeed, sex on wheels,how much drama is involved in fitting 750 tank & how much does it hold,hope its restored to be ridden & not hidden,very good result

Have you tried just adjusting the valves and cam chain? After a fresh build/rebuild, it takes a bit for things to "take a set". I had to do it on my '75 right after the initial start up, even though it had been done on the bench.
Also, plan on doing it again at about 500-600 miles and re-torque the head.

Now...the bike is beautiful! The only thing I would change is the tuning fork emblem on the tank; it's just a little small, IMHO.

Is that one of the early '74-76 master cylinders? How does it work with the Brembo caliper? I'm having some soft brake issues with mine with stock caliper.

How do you like those grips? I just got a set for my CB500 but haven't installed them yet.

Back