My sportbike build- an update....

Yamaha_chop

Fabricator Extraordinare
Reaction score
got to finish tacking together the turbo manifold today! Here's some pics:

DSCF1430.jpg

On this side you can see the sleeve I made so the manifold can be removed in two pieces:

DSCF1433.jpg

And I got the turbo mounting tabs in place, so the weight of the turbo is not hanging on the manifold. The manifold will have a couple extra mounting points as well.

With the turbo mounted I was able to work on the exhaust as well, 2.5" baby :) With a turbo, the less exhuast the better, and that's the mantra I'm following:

DSCF1434.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

DSCF1436.jpg

The end will be slash cut a couple inches after it exits the subrame, just haven't cut it off yet.

I didn't like the swingarm pivot I made, so I decided to use a stock XS650 swingarm pivot, here's the piece:

DSCF1438.jpg

It'll be all chopped up here shortly and I can start building the new swinger.

Here's a few shots of the bike mocked up again:

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1443.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg

I think it looks cool with all the tubing running everywhere :) and there'll be even more after I mount the intercooler and make the piping for that.

Also, I got a new tool the other day, check it out:

DSCF1437.jpg

Little 3/8" drive impact. Supposed to be able to go all the way up to 85ft/lbs which is way more than I ever use. I bolt and unbolt a lot of stuff on this bike, and doing it with wrenches is soooo slow, decided to speed things up a bit! working awesome so far.

Thanks again for checking out my build, hope to have a new update soon.
Sky

Damn those manifolds are crazy! Looks like that would have taken a long time do to and plan out! You definitely have some patience. Do you have a bandsaw?

What's the final seat height going to be?

You're still planning on running fuel injection right?

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: and keep us updated!

Damn those manifolds are crazy! Looks like that would have taken a long time do to and plan out! You definitely have some patience. Do you have a bandsaw?

What's the final seat height going to be?

You're still planning on running fuel injection right?

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: and keep us updated!

Patience is definitely a quality I have cultivated while working on my projects :banghead: :D

I've got one of those harbor freight bandsaws. It's cheesy but it's worked well for me for over 2.5 years, just get a good blade for it and make sure the bolts are tight and you're good.

Final seat height should be around 34 inches.

Absolutely still planning the fuel injection. Hopefully I'll get it all dialed in and the bike will run flawlessly.

Patience is definitely a quality I have cultivated while working on my projects :banghead: :D

I've got one of those harbor freight bandsaws. It's cheesy but it's worked well for me for over 2.5 years, just get a good blade for it and make sure the bolts are tight and you're good.

Final seat height should be around 34 inches.

Absolutely still planning the fuel injection. Hopefully I'll get it all dialed in and the bike will run flawlessly.

Yeah and then once you get it running flawlessly you can share your secrets and I can copy them all! :devil:

That's a pretty tall seat! But I guess it's only half an inch taller than a newer R6, so it's not that bad. Just looks really tall

Regarding the band saw: like all the review sites ask "would you recommend this product to a friend?" (with new blade and tightened bolts)

The guy I work with showed up with his 650 enduro bike, that had a 37" tall seat. And I STILL flat-footed it. I was kinda bummed because there's no way I can make my seat that tall. So it'll be fairly tall, but not tall enough :)

Yes, I would recommend the bandsaw. For the hobbyist, and for the price, I don't think you can beat it. Especially if you wait for the good coupons and sales to compound each other you can pick one up pretty cheap. I got mine for $130.00. The biggest thing about it to watch is the blade alignment. The bolts adjusting the roller bearings sometimes come loose and allow the blade to slip off the bearing it rides on, this instantly bends the blade, and if you just put a new one one without re-aligning those rollers it'll just bend the new blade. I've seen it happen with both mine and another guy's machine. Other than that, it's been working really well.

Back to the turbo, any ideas on how much boost you're going to be able to run? What size is the turbo? Sorry about all the questions!

If it's just those two bolts you gotta keep tight and your good to go, then why not just loc-tite them in?

Is this the one you have? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762
What blades are you using?

That's the one, the bolts are used as adjusters, so you want to keep them moveable in case you ever need to change them a bit. just check them from time to time.

The blades I get from a company called Fastenal, don't know if you have them or not? Anyway, they're a good bit more expensive than the harbor freight ones, they cost about $40, but they're soooo much better.

Back to the turbo, any ideas on how much boost you're going to be able to run? What size is the turbo? Sorry about all the questions!

I'm going to run right around 12lbs of boost, and it will be intercooled. should give me about 88hp, so maybe 80 at the rear wheel which is still a substantial amount.

The turbo is a K04 turbo from an Audi TT. I can post the compressor map if you want. It's still a tad large for my application, but it's almost impossible to find a turbo that was used on a production vehicle that's small enough for a 650cc engine :thumbsup:

And no problem on the questions too, I love to ramble about my projects :laugh:

Yeah we have Fastenal stores around here. It sucks that the blades cost almost 1/3 as much as what you paid for the machine but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Are you doing anything to the internals to be able to run 12lbs? Or can a stock motor handle that?

I don't really know how to read a compressor map so it wouldn't tell me much other than looking at some lines and ovals. :laugh:

Are you doing anything to the internals to be able to run 12lbs? Or can a stock motor handle that?

Heck if I know :laugh: I'm just going to rebuild the motor to stock specs and see what happens. Should be fun to find out though!

One word YC ..... SICK !!!

Thanks very much man, I love your builds too, very detailed and extremely clean. That bike looks like a blast to ride.

Back