My sportbike build- an update....

After the Turbo you want as little restiction to the exhaust gas flow as you can. Any will cause the turbo to not perform as well as it can.
Muffler restriction on a turbo has a much stronger effect than on a naturally aspirated engine.
Leo

Again, spot on. I was originally planning on an even shorter exhaust, but then I found out the with the wideband 02 you want it to be at least 12-18" downstream of the turbo so it doesn't burn it up. There's lot of varying opinions on this, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus it gave me a chance to make that GP looking "muffler" (And about 10hrs worth of welding pie cuts :) )

It rides! Sorry for the delay, weather here has been terrible, finally dried up enough for a short test run.

Notes:

Bad- tune is awful, making a timing table + fuel table from scratch is very difficult
Starter has the slipping thing going on, sounds terrible sometimes, gotta tighten up that spring or something.
I went down to a 30tooth sprocket in an attempt to get some good highway speeds outta this thing, gearing is quite higher than I thought it would be. Might have to go back up a couple teeth.

Good-
Dang this thing sounds incredible!!!
Rides awesome, very smooth, feels just like my old sportbike did, which is what I was going for.
Looks amazing! (At least in my opinion anyway.)

So far I haven't had enough time to do any extended rides to try and level out the tune. Got to mess with the clutch adjustment a little, you might be able to hear in the video that it was popping out of first into neutral a couple times.

Overall it's just a huge relief to know it's a bike and not a garage ornament! :)

Long sessions of tuning yet to come, but I'm on my way back outta town for work again. Can't wait to ride this thing when it's all working smoothly!

Sorry for the somewhat boring video, best I could do. Check out my sweet stall at the end! haha.....

Thanks again guys!

awesome! So far removed from what it started at. Very cool... now you just need a good helmet cam for when you're ready to really get into it.

Back