My sportbike build- an update....

I see in your pic you still have stock clutch spring screws. The drill them out and use allen head screws is a good thing. Those stockers can strip out easily.
And much cheaper than the set Mike's sells.
Other than that looking very good.
Leo

Do you have any pics of your swingarm fabrication? The idea of building a custome swingarm is pretty neat. Did you build a jig?

Actually I don't think I have any more pictures of the swingarm fab. I did build a little jig for it, but it's since been cut up and used for something else. I used the front part of a stock swingarm for the pivot point, and then fabricated the tubing from there.

XSLeo-good idea about those screws, I was definitely thinking about doing that.

I probably missed it but what throttlebody are you using? Does the Megasquirt control the ignition as well as the fuel using a flywheel mounted sensor simular to the 80 up XS? Does it only send fuel / spark to clyinder on power stroke

OK so I've been working on my headlight surround, It's really a pain trying to get it as symmetrical as possible what with all the curves, but I really feel like I'm finally going in the right direction on this thing.

The inspiration for the surround was the Yamaha YZR M1 Moto GP bike seen here:

YamahaYZR-M1WGP50thAnniversaryEdition.jpg

I really liked the ram air look and I didn't like any of my sketches dealing with the single projector headlight I got from the Ducati. So, I'm going to hide the headlight inside the area that looks like it's a ram air inlet. The inlet will have mesh in it so it you can't really see the light in there until it's on.

Here's some shots of where I'm at so far with it. Note that this is not the final position for it, it'll be a little higher and a little further out, but this gives the general idea. The headlight will be hidden inside of it and the gauges will sit under it over the top triple. The exterior will be covered with sheetmetal, but you'll see more details of that as I put it together. The skeleton is made entirely from 1/4" round bar

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0911.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

And my favorite helper

Jocelynsmall.jpg

Comments are appreciated, but I'm 100% sure this is the direction I'm going. I feel it really goes with the lines of the bike, and in the process solves my problem with the front fender looking out of place.

thanks
Sky

I need to run over and check that out in person!

Nice build man, got some quick questions though:
1. are you planning on welding the crank and upgrading to better rods to help it handle the extra ponies?
2. where you tapped the oil line for the turbo, does that rob oil from the chrome oil feed tube that goes to the head? otherwise, where did you grab an oil feed?
3. I've got a hold of a 14b turbo off of a first generation eclipse (2.0L) that I've gotta rebuild, with the turbo that you're running how's the spooling response?

Thanks and can't wait to see more updates!

Nice build man, got some quick questions though:
1. are you planning on welding the crank and upgrading to better rods to help it handle the extra ponies?
2. where you tapped the oil line for the turbo, does that rob oil from the chrome oil feed tube that goes to the head? otherwise, where did you grab an oil feed?
3. I've got a hold of a 14b turbo off of a first generation eclipse (2.0L) that I've gotta rebuild, with the turbo that you're running how's the spooling response?

Thanks and can't wait to see more updates!

1. Not yet, I'm waiting to see how the engine does without that first, eventually I planned on turning up the boost until something goes on it, but right now I'm going to ease into it, start with 5 psi, then 10, then the final 12psi.

2. I drilled into the capped oil passage in the front of the right hand cover coming from the oil pump. I am concerned that this will rob oil pressure from the head. Again, if it ends up being an issue I'm going to have to install an external oil pump just for the turbo. They have several options for that.

3. No idea on how well it spools yet. I've got the rebuilt engine back in the frame along with most of the bike together. I'm very optimistic of firing the bike this weekend, look for a video late Sat night or sometime sunday. I'm also hoping to take it for its maiden voyage within a couple of weeks. After three years and somewhere around 2000hrs of labor, I'm ready to just ride the dang thing! :banghead:

Thank you for your response and insight! I was thinking of using a small power steering pump to pump oil to the turbo and then have the oil return to the top of the head (after passing through an oil cooler). But then the question "How does one drive the power steering pump" gets raised....maybe a 12V dc motor...or off the engine somehow. Do they make such a thing as an electric oil pump that's compact into one unit?

Good things take time man!

Last edited:
Thank you for your response and insight! I was thinking of using a small power steering pump to pump oil to the turbo and then have the oil return to the top of the head (after passing through an oil cooler). But then the question "How does one drive the power steering pump" gets raised....maybe a 12V dc motor...or off the engine somehow. Do they make such a thing as an electric oil pump that's compact into one unit?

Good things take time man!

Would one of the high performance pumps that are manufactured to fit in place of the stock pump be a simpler solution?

This is Heidens version

http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/2178/mo74-cg|22=3/#05-0044-oil-pump-high-performance-

Dunno yet, I won't know until I can actually ride it and put some load on it, but it sure sounds cool right now :) Don't know if you guys can hear the turbo whistle in the video.

:bow::bow::thumbsup::thumbsup: You ROCK!! Can't wait for the first ride video and your impressions/remarks.

Back