My stock framed tracker build

cabmkr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After selling my original tracker project about a year ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a guys XS650 collection/projects. I got a total of 5 frames, 5 1/2 motors (one is a 750) along with lots of wheels and spare parts, two full sized pick up trucks full worth of parts and bikes. Enough bits to build 2-3 bikes. Also one frames is a champion that he started to build.
After a lot of thought, I am starting with a stock framed build with a 650 motor, for now it will have street tires but those will be changed to proper dirt track tires, and a radian swing arm. Debating on the pipe but may bite the bullet and get a Jemco high pipe. Plan is to get it all fabricated up, get it plated the strip it to the frame and get it painted and such.
Here is where I am at.

full

Nice! new to the XS world but Im diggin it! more info about the Swingarm?
Cant wait to see more and will be checking back for updates!

ToyFarm, the swing arm is from a Yamaha Radian.

I received my PMA today from XS Direct, bolted it up in about 1/2 hr, added a 19000uf capacitor and after a few kicks, it started right up, putting out over 14 volts at idle. Also I ordered a Jemco high pipe which should be here by the end of the week. I have to figure out lights (will be mounted in a # plate) and have a tail light coming in the mail.

Chris

full

I did a blitz early Sunday morning and got the painted (clear) pipe mounted, the electrical done, tank lined and new left hand cover mounted along with a few other small things.
I got it on the road for a few minuets and it ran well and runs well in the midrange. It does need the rear sprocket changed to a smaller one and the lights still mounted but happy with the outcome so far, going to be a fun bike. :D

Chris

looks awesome man, no doubt it will be a blast to ride! very clean !!
so if you dont mind, I have just a few more questions for you.
what year frame did you go with?
what carbs did you choose to run and bore diam?
have been searching since the first day i got my bike trying to find a "dirtbike-ish" seat/tank set up.
seriously considering the PMA swap (i have MOST of if not all the parts..i think.)
TCI ign box seems to be a major downfall IMO..spent about 2 hrs chasing wires and trying to figure out exactly whats up with my electrical issues...

Thanks ToyFarm, its coming along, just some lighting and mount the licence plate to get it on the road I will be painting it a bit later.
Frame is a 78 and I believe the carbs are 34 (or 36), they came with the motor I am using and have to admit I haven't taken the off to clean them yet. Starts in one or two kicks so haven't had to muck with them. Seat I got off E bay, around $150 USD, its a Harley type and fits nice on the 78 frame. The PMA is mint and I am using a capacitor in place of the battery. It has a Pamco ignition for spark, so simple wiring and everything is hidden under the seat.

Cheers, Chris

Back