My Street Tracker project

racerdave

^ Gone not forgotten ^
Reaction score
Son and I went up and back to Marshfield Wi Saturday to bring this home. 1979

012.jpg

It is in decent shape and once I'm happy with the mechanical /safety end of it my son will learn to ride a motor cycle from it. If it gets a scrape here and there it won't drive me bonkers like it would if he dropped my Harley. Plus it will be much easier handling a 450# bike vs a 800# beast, for a beginner. After he learns a little it is going to be turned into a Streettracker . Hopefully in classic Yammie yellow, ala Kenny Roberts race bikes. I paid a little more than needed for a tracker project, but it can be ridden now.

Last edited:
Nice looking bike.Thats the same year I started out with 30 years ago. I still have it.

Shinko 110/80-19 705 Dual Sport on a tubelss e-bay rim, left disc will be removed, when I get EBC right rotor

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 386
Papa's little helper. What wrench ya need Papa? Here's your seat Papa, give me a ride!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 333
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 328
Finally got some of that order from Omars. Installed the EBc front rotor, RedWing tracker rear shocks and Progressive springs, and Brembo MC. I thought the oem banjo bolt would fit the Mc. :banghead:Oops! Got to order or see if the local shops have one tomorrow.

Attachments

• brembo.jpg
    brembo.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 473
  • trackershockprogspring.jpg
    trackershockprogspring.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 570
  • ebc3.jpg
    ebc3.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 504
Outstanding. I'm also in the same boat, slowly progressing on a '79 special. Hopefully once I get things sorted out so the motor runs correctly, I can proceed with the cosmetics. I live in Illinois also, near Springfield. Where area do you haunt?

Ah. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things are coming along. Good luck!

Put on the rear wheel. Omar's kit to run a 19 inch front on the rear. 36 tooth sprocket. Tire is a 110/80-19. Definately too small, but it's the biggest I could find in a DS type for a 19 inch wheel. Polished the rotor up. It will be replaced to match the front later.

Attachments

• rearwhl2.jpg
    rearwhl2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 488
  • rearwhl3.jpg
    rearwhl3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 451
  • rearwhl6.jpg
    rearwhl6.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 476
Also just installed a NOS Standard VR115. Bought of ebay for $16 shipped.
RadioShack rectifier conversion next.

Attachments

• vr1152.jpg
    vr1152.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 391
Got a little more done on the "mockup" while still keeping it around the block rideable. complete teardown will be this winter.

seat1.jpg

Plate needs more clearance

plate1.jpg

Mufflers are better, but still not what I would like

muff2.jpg

rear2a.jpg

Last edited:
The red circle, show's where I trimmed the side panel to clear the rear upper MC mount bolt. This helps the seat panel sit better. If you have a rear drum this isn't necessary.

mccutout1a.jpg

Back