My Summer 2021 Chopper Build 1976 XS650...but... a small issue

If it were my bike ...........
I'd pull that bigger LH cover and check the wiring that lives behind it.
Even the stock harness can have issues in the area around the sprocket, shifter etc. there's 4 or 5 maintenance items that need checking back there anyways on any bike you want to be reliable.
clutch worm, push rod seal. Front sprocket for wear, sprocket nut properly installed and TIGHT. Chain stretch, wear, alignment of the front, rear sprockets.
Yeah... I would hate to have to turn this xs650 into my guinea pig ...but i may have to in order to learn the ropes so to speak .

Get ahold of Hugh tell him your story have him send you a copy of the install instructions.
Might try just unplugging this relay see if it changes anything (spark).
choper.jpg

My guess is it's using +12 from a switch to close the ground/kill circuit.

Update...no response from Hugh's yet...but I did manage to get a Hugh's pma install guide. The guide does an excellent job of instructing how to confidently install the system, but doesnt say much about trouble shooting an already installed system like mine. I am still clueless as to the exact reason i cant get my bike started. The problem could be in any one of the components ...or possibly none of them. I don't really know how to go about pin pointing the problem here.

Tomorrow ..Saturday 11/6/21..I am going to attend a big custom motorcycle event here in downtown Cleveland, Ohio called " Fuel Cleveland ". Supposedly there will be tons of custom choppers and other custom bikes. I am hoping to find at least a few xs650s there. With any luck maybe I will make a local connection with someone who can take a knowledgeable look at my situation. If anyone here knows of anyone who will be attending they can refer me to..it would be appreciated. I will let you know how it went.

Last edited:
I was talking with a guy at the tattoo parlor yesterday that was making the trek over that way. I've seen some advertisements for it that look promising. Lowbrow Customs is one of the main sponsors and from the area. They used to specialize in parts for XS's, but I believe their focus has shifted more towards Triumph and Harley parts lately. They may be a good group to chat with and help get you pointed in the right direction.

I was talking with a guy at the tattoo parlor yesterday that was making the trek over that way. I've seen some advertisements for it that look promising. Lowbrow Customs is one of the main sponsors and from the area. They used to specialize in parts for XS's, but I believe their focus has shifted more towards Triumph and Harley parts lately. They may be a good group to chat with and help get you pointed in the right direction.
LowBrow seems to have gone full sportster now, they still offer a lot of triumph and bigtwin stuff but its overshadowed by the overwhelming amount of modern sporty bolt-on insta chopper parts. They no longer offer any XS650 specific parts.:(

If nothing else materializes ..an upload of pictures of the ignition parts and the
Installation instructions . Scanned ( check if allowed )
Must have knowledge of the schematic and components
To have a chance draw conclusions ..
I believe it was Aristotle
" If no premises --- No conclusion is Possible "

I have been thinking about this and done a bit reading looked at the pictures
In first Post there is mention of a New Battery
While waiting for more other info
Do you have a Voltmeter or Test Lamp ?
Do you have power on the coil on any position on the switch
Left side on that blue thing

upload_2021-11-6_13-43-37.png

View attachment 201110
I do have a voltmeter... I will check that ..thnks for the suggestion !

LowBrow seems to have gone full sportster now, they still offer a lot of triumph and bigtwin stuff but its overshadowed by the overwhelming amount of modern sporty bolt-on insta chopper parts. They no longer offer any XS650 specific parts.:(
I noticed that on their website. They still have some xs650 stuff... most of what I have came from TC bros. Only my handlebars came from Low Brow... : )

View attachment 201110
...this connection was so loose it came off with little effort...not sure if this might be the problem...somehow I doubt it.

Attachments

• 20211106_175240.jpg
    20211106_175240.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 96

View attachment 201110
How do I test this with a multimeter ? Where do the probes go ? And what settings do I use on the meter ?

Attachments

• 20211106_175649.jpg
    20211106_175649.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 78
How do I test this with a multimeter ? Where do the probes go ? And what settings do I use on the meter ?
Test between the two small wires on with the meter set on the omega symbol and test between the inside of the plug wires also on the omega symbol. I’d take the caps off of the leads as well.

Tomorrow ..Saturday 11/6/21..I am going to attend a big custom motorcycle event here in downtown Cleveland, Ohio called " Fuel Cleveland ". Supposedly there will be tons of custom choppers and other custom bikes. I am hoping to find at least a few xs650s there. With any luck maybe I will make a local connection with someone who can take a knowledgeable look at my situation. If anyone here knows of anyone who will be attending they can refer me to..it would be appreciated. I will let you know how it went.
The event was cool ...lots of bikes and wheelies. The bikes weren't labeled so more than half the time I could only guess what I was looking at. The owners of the bikes were nowhere around. The only words of wisdom I received came from a T shirt I saw...the T shirt said " fix your own sh*t." ..lol ...so true !

Back