My tire thread...

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am researching the next set of new shoes for the Special Two..
I'm not a big fan of Shinko 712s' ... I always had quality control issues with their front tires..they could never seem to make them truly round.. I would always have alot of front wheel vibrations at hwy speeds...very annoying when you need to have a smooth ride..The rear 712s wear too quickly. I could only get 4000 miles out of a rear 712 on my 1979 XS1100.
Given their price point though they are still in consideration...
On the other hand every Pirelli tire i ever bought for my XS1100 was excellent both in ride quality and wear(mileage)
I am comparing the Shinko 712s' vs. Pirelli MT66 Route
F= 100/90-19
R= 130/90-16
I always buy from Amazon..free shipping...

So the Pirelli Front tire = $66.99
Rear tire= $86.40
Total= $156.39

Shinko Front = $52.99
Rear =$69.85
Total= $122.84
The difference in cost between them is $33.55
So based on this I am going to go with the Pirellis'. In my opinion the difference in price is not that great and the quality of Pirelli is far superior to that of Shinko..Y'alls mileage may vary..a tad....Ya get what ya pay fer...;)
Not intending to start a tire debate..this decision is final...
Am needing to wait another month..thats ok..bike is in safely tucked away...new battery and a new set of wider/taller mirrors have been ordered...and Hagerty Insurance. Thats enough for this month...:cool:

Last edited:
Absolutely go for the Pirellis! "Quality isn't expensive, it's priceless!" Seeing as the tires are the last thing between you, and the road, they're kinda important. :wink2: It makes sense, then, to buy the best tires you can get. And, yeah, you mileage may vary... :laugh:

I had a pair of 712's or 2 on my SG and thought they were an "OK" tire( for the money) except for the groove/tar snake following. I am not a fast or performance rider. Touring kind of guy. 230's were better.

Back