1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

My very slow hardtail build thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XSsex50, Oct 11, 2018.

1. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Hey dudes, thought I would post my journey for my hardtail build thread now that I am starting to get into it.

Frame is a late 80’s with TC brothers hardtail.

Attached Files:

2. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Forks came from States supplied by NWWA - Sean was a super easy seller and forks are top notch. Thanks again.

3. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Drilled and chiseled the existing tank mounts and cleaned up. Tank is a HD 48 that I got in a trade

Attached Files:

4. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Ordered new head stem bearings and cups - had little issue with the top cup spinning.

Attached Files:

GLJ likes this.
  5. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Solution was loctite red and I clamped it in with the old races, threaded rod and some large washes. Gave it a couple days and got the forks all bolted in Crisses averted.

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  6. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

A buddy of mine delivered some rims over the holidays from an out of state seller. Saved me on shipping hehe. 19inch front and 16inch drum rear mags, will need rubber. Looking into Avon speed masters but does any one suggest anything? Want to go skinniest front and fattest rear for the 16inch - not worried about rear guard because I’ll create one to suit.

Attached Files:

Moabite likes this.
  7. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi XSsex50,
    I'd go with Avons for nostalgia's sake. 90/90-19 will fit the front's rim width OK
    but the rear can't be fatter than 130/90-16 or it'll interfere with the drive chain unless
    you put a spacer between the hub & the rear sprocket and run the wheel dog-tracked.

gggGary and XSsex50 like this.
  8. XSsex50

XSsex50 XS650 Enthusiast

Ahhh I see, do you know max with spacer?