My Wiring Thread

breahn riley

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So hear it is. I am about to start the wiring. This is the last thing i need to do before i get my bike running. obvi. I plan on the bike being kick only. Here is a list of the accesories that ill be using
Headlight
Tail light
Battery
Coil
Pamco
Reg/rec
Stator
Ignition Switch
Speedo and Tach
Rear Brake Switch
Fuses for wherever needed and I also want to run a fuse in the line for the pamco so i dont blow it up.
Three way toggle switch so that i can run headlight off and lo/high beam.
I think this wiring diagram is pretty close to what I need, but the fact is i am no wiring genius. Im not sure on where to start when adding in the features I need??
noid-chopperwiringdiagram1.jpg

Here are some photos of the parts i intend on using. Feel free with input and changes that you think would be a good idea.
IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

I hope this thread comes in handy. I know that there are alot of people asking similar questions.

Look in the "Tech" section for some typical wiring diagrams. Let us know how progress is going. Yes, run a 7.5 amp fuse in line with the power feed to the Pamco to protect it.

I can't really see what kind of coil you have, but if it is Mikexs 17-6803 then you need to strip off the insulation on the ends to ensure metal to metal contact with the mounting clamps for heat dissipation.

terminalend.jpg

Check the web site for other coil mounting tips.

http://www.yamahaxs650.com

I am one of those people hoping to run this same setup (sans speedometer) so I too will follow this thread.

Is that the stock condenser? (Silver thing with fins) If so, from what year?

breahn,

Well, there are four different coils that come with various kits, but the 17-6803 is the one that has the ends covered in plastic which block good heat conduction, so the ends need to be cleaned up.

What was the kit number and when did you buy it?

Here is another wiring diagram that shows a PAMCO and a reg/rect from a '80 to '83 model.

wiring5.jpg

If you are using a stock tail light, then the color code is wrong. A stock tail light has the blue as the tail light and yellow as the brake light.

I am using that coil. I got it as a replacement coil for the stock coil last year. I just bought everything else I need to run the pamco system. Ill check out that diagram when I get home, I can't see things very well on my phone. I'm using an aftermarket tail light with a green and black wire. My friend is gunna help me alter the diagram with photoshop tmmrw. Thanks for the help and ill keep the posts coming.

I forgot that I had this in my email. this guy helped me out before. Im goin to start to edit it tonight, first off removing elec ign and and adding in pamco. Ill go from there. Pete or whoever, let me know what you think of the diagram and if i should make changes. Sorry Roger, but im goin to hack up this diagram a little.
XS650WiringDiagram_CDIignition.jpg

same diagram i'm using. are you going to use a kill switch on the red/white, or the orange? open circiut, or ground it?

yeah my photoshop friend is puttin that in now. Do I need a kill switch or can i just turn the key on and off. And do i need a kill switch to keep power off the pamco when the motor isnt running? Im very new to this. Im gunna put a 7.5 fuse in line for the pamco. so weird, now all of the sudden those diagram is appearing.

breahn,

The kill switch is a good idea to keep power off of the PAMCO when the engine isn't running, like when you are working on the electrical system, lights etc.

yeah, i mean pete seems to be the man. There seems to be alot of us with the same setups and asking the same questions. I just wanna edit this diagram so its correct and people can use this as a reference instead of just starting a new thread while the answer has already been provided. Im finding the repitition annoying. Nothing about you Angus, but i just keep seeing alot of threads " NEWBIE WITH QUESTIONS" and those questions have probaly been more than likely answered. So about the kill switch, are you clear with what pete is saying?

no. I'm thinking a switch either on the red/white, or the other option is on the orange out of the ign. box.

Back