XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys..
went for a ride the other day and after about 20 mins. the bike
suddeny died ..

i have a sachse ignition.

i checked all fuses - all good.
recharged the battery
now when i turn on my headligt the volts drops alot but no light. got a H4 bulp headlight.
the bulp says 60/55 W - dunno if that has anything to do with the issue?
took off the lights circuit.
also the charging circuit makes the volts drop.
the bike has a very weak spark - can only run in idle.

so i think maybe a messed up ground somewhere?

what to do from here:
1. check valve settings
2. ignition timing.
3. all grounds

what else?

never seen it act like this before...

Charge your battery.
attach a voltmeter so you can watch the voltage.

Voltage;
Charged battery key off=
bike idling=
bike revved=
head light off=
headlight on=

Well, here stateside we have not heard of a Sachsen ignition, How does it work?
I would start by fully charging the battery, get it load tested, most places that sell batteries can do this. It may be a bad battery.
If the battery is good, time to start checking voltages. A lot of aftermarket ignitions are voltage sensitive, in other words they need the full 12 volts to work well.
When you turn on the key the regulator reads the voltage, if below the regulators preset value it turns on the rotor. The rotor has about a 2.5 amp draw and pulls the voltage down a bit. Use this voltage as a reference or unplug the regulator and get a higher voltage.
Now check the voltage at the ignition and coils, If below the battery voltage by more than .2 or so you have issues somewhere between the battery and ignition/coils. The key switch or kill switch can both or either be dirty. They can be cleaned. Poor fuse connections can be an issue.
For a short term test use a jumper wire from battery positive to the ignition and coil, this provides full battery voltage by bypassing all the bike wiring. Do you get good spark and how does it run?
If it runs well you need to further inspect the wiring between the battery and ignition/coil. If this makes no difference then it not electrical. I would suspect carbs.
If running stock carbs www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help you tear down, clean, inspect and adjust the carbs.
If Mikuni round slides try www.amckayltd.com/vm34-36.pdf
Leo

I followed the link, very interesting ignition. I don't know the exchange rate but 320.00 EUR seems like a fair price. It looks to be usable on other bikes to, it has TX750 on the circuit board.
Leo

Are you running the stock alternator? Is the rotor original? Check across the slip rings. You should have greater than three ohms. If less, that's where your battery current is going.A rewind will be required. It's very common problem with the original rotor. A proper rewind will last many years.

Back