My XS650 project, Deep South XS

Made some good progress today. I got the Ardtail put on and welded up today and got the bike back into a roller.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Good times! Getting to roller is a great feeling. I like the shot with the cut-off frame in the background...:laugh:

Thanks again for testing the Aprilia clutch idea :thumbsup: even before I had mine running! No joke, it was reassuring to see you get it working while I was barely out of the design phase. Now that I'm on the road, it's working awesome!

What's your rear wheel plan for that disc brake? Keep the updates coming!

Getting close man. Looks good! Going to have to ride it over when you return those parts.

If you really want to wait that long to get your parts back OK. J/K I'll be returning the parts this week but as soon as I get the other stuff done in the motor (change out 1st gear set and put in porsche/vw valve adjusters) fix my screw up on the fender mounts:doh: and get it all back together I will definitely be riding your direction.

Good times! Getting to roller is a great feeling. I like the shot with the cut-off frame in the background...:laugh:

Thanks again for testing the Aprilia clutch idea :thumbsup: even before I had mine running! No joke, it was reassuring to see you get it working while I was barely out of the design phase. Now that I'm on the road, it's working awesome!

What's your rear wheel plan for that disc brake? Keep the updates coming!

I have to agree I loved that shot with the old back section as well. When I read your post regarding the Aprilia slave cylinder I was truly inspired so I must say thank you for the inspiration. I have some mags that I need to take down along with the spoked wheels and have the tires swapped over but hopefully my son will be able to take them down on thursday as my next day off won't be for another week but as soon as I get a chance I will get my new shoes on. Also I should have my final set of jets for the EX500 carbs on thursday so I will have that all done next week as well so I will be having quite a few updates in the next week or so.

No rush to bring them parts back man, they were sitting in that tub for a year and there they will probably sit another year.

Made a little progress lately. Got my tires put onto my mags, got my electronics mounted in the e-box, got my rear turn signals mounted and actually took her out for a quick spin around the neighborhood.

full

full

full

full

full

full

Still got a long ways to go but it was sure nice to get her moving under her own power again. More updates to come later as I get paint, powdercoat and wiring clean-up done.

Well I think I finally got my carbs dialed in:yikes:. Here are my current settings for anyone that is interested:

Pilots: 38's
Mains: 145's (could possibly go up to 148's)
Needles: shimmed 1mm (may be a little fat but time will tell)
Mixture screws: 1.5 turns out

As of right now she idles smooth and pulls hard and smooth all the way to about 6.5k (that was as fast as I felt comfortable going on my short little road), no break-up or sputters but the last set of plugs I pulled out (these were the plugs that were in it while I made all my test runs and lots of idling setting sync and mixture screws) had lots of carbon on them (new plugs put in after I got a clean hard pull). I hope my trials and tribulations in adapting the carbs from a 2004 EX500 to my 1981 XS650 have both helped and inspired others in their endeavors to find alternatives to the dwindling supply of carbs for our old girls.

Reading the updates of the jetting for the carbs with interest as I have a set of ER5 carbs on the shelf for my 77 project. What did you do with the breathers, mine have one on the carb body's which it looks from the pics you may have connected the rocker box somehow but theres also one at the rear of the carbs on a balance pipe - what did you do with this one? Looking good by the way :thumbsup:

Progress has been a bit slow these days but I am at the point that my scoot is all torn down for delivery to the powdercoaters tommorow. The color scheme has changed a bit. I am now going with silver metallic powder on the frame, motor mounts and various other small parts and Synergy Green from a 2012 Camaro on the tank and rear fender. Hopefully it looks as good in real life as it does in my head!!!

The mags are off a '79. They are the standard 16" rear and 19" front. I am running Shinko 712's for tires.I will be picking up my frame and various parts that were powdercoated on tuesday. I got my new transmission gears put in to cure the problem of popping n and out of first gear but while I was in there I found that one of my shift forks had gotten damaged. Received my new shift forks which are in excellent condition. Also I received the spin on filter kit I ordered from 650central so I can wrap up the bottom end. I got my VW/Porsche adjusters installed and was easy as pie. The only thing left to sort out is the painting of the tank, rear fender and the lower legs and I will be on final assembly thank god.

Well I can't seem to leave things well enough alone so I am in the middle of getting all the needed bits for a rephase. Got a crank sent off to Hugh so he can work his magic, got a cam from Mr. Riggs and got my 277* Pamco. I am looking at a couple different options as far as coils go. First off is the Dynatec DC3-2 like here and the second option is a Dynatec DC6-5 like here (it might be a knock off but the price was right). Just curious if anyone has used the DC6-5 and what anyones thoughts were on it.

Well I can't seem to leave things well enough alone so I am in the middle of getting all the needed bits for a rephase. Got a crank sent off to Hugh so he can work his magic, got a cam from Mr. Riggs and got my 277* Pamco. I am looking at a couple different options as far as coils go. First off is the Dynatec DC3-2 like here and the second option is a Dynatec DC6-5 like here (it might be a knock off but the price was right). Just curious if anyone has used the DC6-5 and what anyones thoughts were on it.

Why not just use what Pete has in the kit?

I got the Pamco directly from Pete and he does not have coils in the kit. I guess I just like to make things complicated for myself. I like the look of the single fire coil DC6-5 as it is a single unit.

Well I had the motor all assembled (750cc 277* rephased goodness etc.) and it was stolen the day before it was set to go back in to the bike. Now I am in the process of tearing down 2 motors that I got and going to build another one up as a 666cc standard 360* and sell off some stuff to fund another big bore rephase in about a year or so if mine never finds it's way home.

Dude! That blows! I have a bunch of boxes of random parts. If there is anything you are missing, let me know, and if i have it, its yours for the cost of shipping. We need to get you back on the road, brother!

Back