My XS650 project, Deep South XS

Well I got my replacement motor all put together from bits and pieces and fired up yesterday. Took it out for a bit of a ride this morning, nothing to far only about 15 miles but all in all it ran pretty good. Glad to be back in the wind, now if we could only get some dry weather (we have had rain everyday for about 3 weeks) I would be ready for a longer ride to do a proper break in. Athough it is the same jugs and pistons I was using before I put together the 750 kit so it shouldn't need much of a break in.

Under my carport at my house. Right next to my roller and my sons ZX-7R and our Lancer Evolution. It was on my work bench wrapped up in a couple of garbage bags. I am pretty sure I know who stole it, just can't prove it and the cops aren't really looking for it.

Nothing real important to add here just posting up some pics of how she sits at the moment. Hope everyone enjoys the pics.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I really like that Ippy! Just hose forks........... not too keen on the colour....... I'd do them black TBH. I know......................

Yeah it is still a work in progress. Black is the plan for the forks When I pull them apart again. LOL I doubt I will ever be completely done with this thing.

Yeah that is the infamous carport.

The bike now goes in the back yard with my 3 dogs (a pitbull/bull mastiff mix, a American Bulldog mix and a Boxer mix) behind a 6ft privacy fence in my little shop that I built after they stole my motor, when I don't have it out for cleaning or riding. If they can get in, past the dogs and get it over the fence I am not going to try and stop them. If they can do that I will hand the keys and show them how to start it :bow2:

Good looking bike! I'm not too far away from ya in Baton Rouge, maybe one day when i get mine rideable (i'll never say finished, you know how that goes), i'll putt over and drool over yours. :D

Thanks! It has a few tricks up it's tail pipes. What do you think of the ballistic battery in the gutted starter housing? I thought I was being innovative with it but later found out Osteoderm beat me to it. A ride sounds like fun. Let me know before you head this direction.

Current mods include:
Aprilia style hydraulic clutch
Alto 8-pack clutch
EX500 carbs, handlebar control and wiring harness with a few custom touches.
High output PMA with FH016aa mosfet reg/rec

scabber thanks for the kind words.

Weekendrider, no I had to have custom cables made by motion pro. They were pretty spendy, if I remember correctly it was ~$35 a cable. They don't show the enricher cable on their website but they used to sell it and have the drawing to go off of so all I had to do was tell them what additional length needed on the cables and they were able to make them up for me.

Well I finally got my Ardtail and started the fab work on some of brake mounts:

full

full

Brake stay rod bolt welded and started blending

full

full

full

full

HHB Rear brake pivot and rear master cylinder mouting bracket

Also started on adapting the Keihin CVK carbs from a 2004 EX500 to my old girl:

full

full

full

Here you can see that the throttle cable is moved to in between the carbs rather on the outside of the left hand carb. The EX500 uses a dual throttle cable but has a return spring so my single cable works smooth as silk with no sticking.

full

Here you can see the idle adjustment screw under and in between the carbs (little black thumb screw)

full

Here you can see the modification the the upper rear support bar needed to clear the backbone.

Initial thoughts and observations on the EX500 carb swap:
1) As far as mechanical fitment the EX500 carbs are a direct replacement for the BS34's as far as the spigot and intake bell are concerned which means that the carb boots and filters do not need to be changed if you are currently running BS34's.
2) The choke on the EX500 carbs is a cable actuated choke so I had to come up with a creative solution using a little bit of ingenuity. Taking a page out of the BS34 play book I decided to use a spring and ball and created detents in the back side of the choke actuator. On the left hand carb there is an unused hole behind the actuator rod that worked perfectly for a spring and ball, using this hole I now have positive stops for no choke, half choke and full choke. When I take he carbs off for jetting changes I will get pics of the setup.
3) I knew that the jetting would need to be changed from reading the previous posts regarding this swap but wanted to see what it would do right out of the box. With these carbs fitted the bike starts and idles perfectly which really wasn't to much of a surprise as noboody mentioned having to change the pilot jets. Once I confirmed that the pilot circuit was operating at least acceptably and modifying my throttle cable for the new throttle pull position I took her out for a quick spin up and down my road and found that from idle up to about 4k rpms all was ok but at 4k it started breaking up pretty severely which from what I had read was really expected since everything I had read said that the mains need to be leaned out by 1-2 steps. I will have jets in hand tomorrow and will be doing jet swaps and tests to dial it in. The stock jets are 35 pilots and 130 mains. I ordered 38 pilots just for testing purposes and 122, 125 and 128 main jets to get her dialed in.

One thing I noticed is that the carbs weigh considerably less than the stock bs34's just by the weight in my hands. Also the CVK's have built in vaccum barbs which can either be used for vaccum petcocks or for carb sync making it an easy swap for people with bs38's using JBM carb boots.

All in all I think this could be a viable solution for replacement carbs using newer technology which also cleans up the look around the carbs quite a bit and this set of carbs cost only $140. A win win in my book.

Hey ippy,
I know it's been a while since you made this mod but I just received my EX500 carbs today, and was looking through the forum and found your build. The only thing I don't quite understand is the mod with the spring and ball choke. Is this something g I can take off of the stock 34s I have, or something I'd have to order?

Also, what kind of mods did you have to make in order for it to fit in front of the backbone your picure was kinda hard to see what was going on.
Thanks for any help!

Hey drew,

The spring and ball mod for the choke was to give the enricher multiple positions that had a positive stop, if that makes sense. I have since swapped over to hand controls from an ex250 (which is the same as the ex500 and a couple of others) so I have the complete enricher from bars to carbs. IIRC I got the ball and spring at my local hardware store. I just took the carb body down and found some that fit in the unused screw holes.

If you have the stock backbone and rear downtube the only thing that needs to be done to get the carbs to clear is to remove some of the horizontal part of the upper rear support like in the last pic you copied.

Well, I got the upper rear support modified to fit, and am working on the throttle cable now. Once I get it running I'll look into the enricher more. Thanks again

Just finished cross drilling,resurfacing and painting my brake rotors. Went with an unconventional pattern and made sure the 2 front rotors are mirror images. I think they turned out pretty well.

Thanks machine for rotors for confidence building. Went much easier after being able to practice on 1.
20201022_163741.jpg

Back