Mystery BS34 Carb Spring????

79josh81

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
F2D13EE4-BE27-48C8-AB63-A00CF5C02F6A.jpeg
So I was using our carb bible to go through and clean the BS34 carbs on the 81’ special II I just got. I removed the float bowls, main jets, pilot jets, and air jets. Then I pulled the brass caps off the mixture screws and removed them with their 2 springs. Then I pulled the enricher plungers with their springs so I could clean the tiny holes out above the throttle plates. As I was spraying them out over a bin, a tiny spring fell out. Only one though. I picked up the spring and went back to the bench to see if I can find it’s place but I can’t find another spring like it any where in the carbs. With everything I removed, there was no mention in the carb bible about “be careful of the little spring when you remove such and such”. What I do know is, is that I have both springs on my choke plungers and both springs on my mixture screws.

Does anyone know where this spring came from with everything i’ve told you I’ve opened up on these carb??? I set the spring next to the choke plungers and mix screw so you can see how tiny it is.

60FCF5AA-CFFB-43A4-9276-1C7FE9891F44.jpeg
Fuck. Well I pulled the choke rod obviously. I didn’t see a ball or any other spring. Does it go in here?

My rod also only has dents for a ball on one side. Is it possible there’s only one spring and ball just on the left carb?

View attachment 133156

My rod also only has dents for a ball on one side. Is it possible there’s only one spring and ball just on the left carb?

Maybe. One is enough. You can grab a drill and start drilling into the ball on a zerk fitting. That will release the ball and spring, both will work for the detent.
Guess how I discovered that?

Last edited:
Thanks 5twins. The zerk fitting ball fit perfectly like Gary said. After I got it back together I re-read through the enricher section in the carb guide and realized it doesn’t mention the spring I found because, as you already know, you don’t have to pull the rod to pull the plungers. I’ve never worked with the BS34’s before so this was a case of me getting ahead of my reading. Oh well, I learned something new and it only cost me a zerk fitting and a fidget spinner.

If I had mine out again, I would file two more detents in the rod, one about halfway to the first detent and the other between the two originals. It used to stick where I wanted it by itself until I messed it up by cleaning it :)

5t made me look.
though I've found a fair number of sets with springs and balls on both sides there is only one set of detents on the rods, none on the Heritage Specials.
Like xjwmx it sure would be nice to have a bit of fast idle in with partial choke. PS the HS handle bar choke IS infinitely adjustable.
DSCN3608.JPG

Like xjwmx it sure would be nice to have a bit of fast idle in with partial choke.
It was an xsjohn mod. I didn't see the need for it until I cleaned mine and it didn't stick just anywhere I put it anymore.

I don't think the springs and balls were installed on the cable choke carbs. I don't recall finding any on my '83 carb set, but maybe a P.O. lost them?

Back