Mystery problem!

Electricnightmare

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok dudes this is what im working with. xs650 g engine which I beleive makes it an 1980. but! I got points. and BS38's and F model pipes the whole frame is a F which I assume is 79. I have a HHB PMA. 27.5, 2.0 , 135, Jets in bs38's. stock airbox the metal one with the two kinda square peices with the oval connector in the middle. E-type cam chain. chopper wire that I did myself. Kick only no killswitch. stock condnsors/coils. replaced spark lines, running NGK BP7ES's. I did live in cali doing open road now I live in brooklyn. Motorcycles pissed. but ITs been kinda pissed the whole time. the Left cyl has always had problems at low rpms (but kinda only in first gear) were talking like 900-1500rpms it lurches and struggles. then at 2100-3100 it behaves the same way but its inconsistant. sometimes it when Its cold sometimes when its hot. this makes me feel as though its probably electrical. I installed new points recently because I figured it might be it. the catalyst for that was realizing that my mechanical adv. had some divots in it that I thought might be fucking up and over advancing my timing. (Ill post some pics in a minute) Bike ran like It was supposed to for few blocks best its ever ran after I did dynamic timing. Mind you I broke the replacement mech adv installing it which allowed me to rule out the mech adv being the problem since I just reinstated the original one. I greased the adv rod while I was in there. I get back fires out of the left cly. when i say left i mean the cyl below my left hand when sitting in riding pos on the bike. My air fuel mix screws on my left and right carb have always been drastically different settings. like several complete turns more lean than right cyl. Compression test as of this week show 148 for both cyl throttle open both plugs out no oil in cly. Ive ran it and switched the leads for condensors and coils to rule those out. the way its wired the problem would have switch clys if it was cond. or coil. It did not. Ran the test three times to make sure. Could where my engine ground for my circuit give me intermiddent spark on my left cyl? could my point be grounding out the the points cover? Could this all be caused by a faulty petcock? Im going to throw my xs750 tank on the 650 rn to try and rule petcocks as well. Then Im going to do valves, static and dynamic again. I havent done evnough miles to need to do cam chain but I fucking check OK. also my exaust manifolds dont appear to have cracks or anything but ill check em with carb cleaner today too. also going to clean my carbs because the bike wouldnt fire after I compared my jet sizes last time so everythings gonna be pretty zero'd out. which It already was and I couldnt figure it out. thats why im here thanks guys happy weekend

Back