Mystery Tool - what is it?

nighthog

A bit of a bike hacker
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I know unusual tools have been on other threads but I thought that maybe this needed a thread of its own. There must be plenty of odd things in the bottom of toolboxes among you all, so don't be shy, show me yours, and I'll .....

... show you mine. This tool was given to me over 25 years ago by a bloke who, I think, inherited it from his dad who had something to do with the motor trade. Here it is, exactly how I got it, still wrapped in the instructions with the very perished elastic band still stuck to it:
mystery_01.jpg

Underneath, it looks like this:
mystery_02.jpg

So, what do you reckon it is? And roughly how old?

Just wild guessing it is some kind of gauge used in the manufacture of light bulbs? Or other electrical items, such as coils.

Well just a couple of observations, the knurled knob would suggest it is for turning and the A-B indicators would suggest that it is for measuring something is either good or bad, off or on. Something along those lines.

The shiny end is a go/no-go gauge for a bushing and the holes are different gauges for stripping wire insulation. :umm:

Neat!

I'll bet a lot of folks were grateful to not have to test spark plugs "manually".....

Yes, I reckon so. I think the old one has a certain charm though! I must see if it actually works ... here are the instructions:
UserGuide1b.jpg
UserGuide2b.jpg
UserGuide3b.jpg

I think it's 1920's given the pictures in the 'user guide'. And at that price, it was an expensive bit of kit! Google tells me there were one or two similar products on the market but I have no idea which came first, dates, anything really but I'd like to know for interest's sake.

TESTER.jpg

I picked this up for a couple bucks at the tool table at the Lonestar Rod & Kustom Round Up a couple of years ago. It is the modern version of your spark tester. You press the curve on the left in the pic against a plug wire. The thing in the middle of the tester that looks like a glass fuse is actually a tube filled with a gas that lights up each time a spark is made. The writing on the far right side in the pic says "Warning Avoid Moving Parts."
Works great if you are in an enclosed garage out in the country at midnight during a new moon with all of the lights out. Otherwise, not so much...

Back