Mystery Tool - what is it?

I would guess it's a tool for releasing the little tab that holds a conductor in a quick connect housing.

Okay I cheated and see that mikesim is the winner! Google can find things pretty easy at times!

But agree with Downeaster that it would probably work for that too!

Last edited:
I have a pretty decent selection of wiring tools, pins, connector housings, crimpers, release tools, wire-wrap tools, etc. ad nauseum.

My main focus as a Navy electronics weenie was communications equipment, I've built or repaired a crapload of Cannon connectors in my time.

$_3.jpg

I have a pretty decent selection of wiring tools, pins, connector housings, crimpers, release tools, wire-wrap tools, etc. ad nauseum.

My main focus as a Navy electronics weenie was communications equipment, I've built or repaired a crapload of Cannon connectors in my time.

$_3.jpg

Not the best picture but you probably have or had a a few of these:
a release tool.jpg

I always tried having at least a couple of each size as they tended on getting damaged easy. I used them working on Cat off-road equipment!

Looks like a gizmo that's used to insert an additional conductor into an already bundled wiring harness..... dunno its real name though so I'm gonna stick with gizmo.

Mike
Yep, called a Wire Spoon. Aircraft wire bundles are clamped every 12-18" with adel clamps. Loosening the clamps to string a new or additional wire can take hours. With the wire spoon you just push it into the clamp and pass the wire through it. Hours to minutes.

$_3.jpg

Same here. I've sold off most of 'em since I retired, but I still have a drawer of various crimpers.

zav.jpg

zv.jpg

Back