Mystery Tool - what is it?

The lower one is not too much of a mystery as the tag on it explains pretty much what it is.
The aluminium tool above it would be used by the same person!
Just hope Homeland Security is not monitoring this thread or I may have a knock on the door!
Atlas001.jpg

When I worked in West Africa for Schlumberger Wireline Services (oil well logging and perforating) in the early 1980's, we used perforating "guns" to open the steel oil well tubing up to allow oil to flow in and be pumped to the surface.

All of our equipment was mounted on either a big 6-WD Transtar truck for land wells or in a little cabin on an offshore oil rig. Either the truck or the cabin had a big winch mounted on it with about 20-25,000 ft of armored steel cable about 5/8" in diameter. The cable had seven conductors inside the armor and the steel sheath counted as an eighth conductor. The cable came off the reel and went around a big orange sheave (pulley) and then up to the top of the drilling derrick and then straight back down the hole. The gun would be hung on the end of that cable.
schlumberger_ksa_full_web_1.jpg

The gun was basically a section of very heavy-walled pipe with a set of radially arranged portals into which were screwed some shaped charges that looked about like a small softball with a segment cut-out. Inside the segment was a copper cone - and that formed a jet of molten copper when the charge was detonated down-hole. The copper jet would perforate the oil well tubing and fracture the geological formation and that would enable the oil or gas to flow (once some other stuff was done to the well).
Anti-tank artillery rounds work about the same way....I'm told.

gunsystem.png

I was trained on how to load the gun, set the primer cord and blasting cap and position it down-hole at the correct depth - and then set it off. I did this task many, many times - but I never actually saw one of these things go off, because they were always 2-3 miles down-hole where the layer of petroleum in the local geological formation was located. We would confirm a good perforation by positioning a crewman on the drill floor and he would simply grasp the cable with his hand while I sent the electrical signal 10-15,000 ft. down to detonate the charges. If he felt a shudder in the cable, the charges had definitely gone off.

No shudder = no detonation and then you had a dangerous situation where a live "gun" had to be brought up and dis-armed. Fortunately, this never happened to me so I never had to deal with it.

Anyhow, a story went around that a small village in South America was having some sort of religious celebration in the town square and some of the local-yokels who were employed as Schlumberger crewmen offered to supply the fireworks for the party. Apparently, they pilfered several shaped charges and some primer cord plus a few blasting caps and set the whole thing off in the crowded town square with a car battery - ON THE SURFACE.

Much carnage and property destruction ensued as you can imagine.

Last edited:
Here's another one that might not be as obvious. Been trying to find a book that shows it in use. Seems I forgot to think of that before I retired. I could have filled a truck with old manuals that will end up in a dumpster someday:notworthy:

Well anyone want to guess what it is:
fishtail001.jpg

And NO I'm not talking about the wooden ruler!

If you can make out the color of the bits of paint left on it it may get you thinking in the right direction.

Oooh, nice one .... something to do with quarrying, blasting in quarries, I guess ....

Top one looks like the key for opening a tin of corned beef!

Well guess I should have included a ruler to give a better perspective of size, both measure about 7 inches long.

So that would be some big tin of corned beef!

Top pointy one looks to be for poking a hole in a charge, stick of TNT - plastic, to insert a blasting cap.

Top pointy one looks to be for poking a hole in a charge, stick of TNT - plastic, to insert a blasting cap.

Beags64, wins the prize for that one!

Got a kick out of the fact that the first summer I worked in the quarry fresh out of high-school and one of the things they had me doing was jamming one of those tools into the 4 inch round 18 inch long tubes of Gelamite then slipping the caps down in that hole.

Then a couple summers later and one of the company's other quarries about 10 miles away that had closed the summer before but had a supply of the Gelamite left in the magazine and they wanted it moved to our quarry. So they just sent myself and the driller, who also was the blaster, over there with a couple half ton pickups. Loaded both trucks up and drove back with no signs or anything. Driller did assure me that if the truck I was driving had a flat he was not going to stop!

This was before Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols blew up Oklahoma City but still might not have been good to be caught with those two loads!

The pointy thing is to pierce the stick of explosive so the primer can be inserted.

When I was a young man I worked as a welder for a big open pit copper mine in Arizona. The blasting crews would work all day and night drilling holes 20’ deep that would then be filled with good old ammonia nitrate fertilizer, which they then poured diesel fuel down on and then topped with a blasting cap. The explosions were always set off at 4:00 pm every day. The air raid sirens would go off and if you were anywhere in the pit you ran for cover.
7FA7AD3D-97EA-44A5-827D-E4F41F13601B.jpeg

Every once in a while a really big rock 2-3’ around would be thrown a very long way. We had one come through the roof of our welding shop and crush our great big cutting table. That rock flew from 1/2 mile away. We also had a pickup truck crushed once.

The mine I worked at wasn’t always an open pit mine. In the 1930’s and 40’s it was all below ground tunnels.
No maps were kept of the layout of tunnels and shafts and every once in a while a big hole would unexpectedly open up. This happened to one of the blast hole drill crews, unknowingly they were drilling a hole right above a vertical shaft, the ground opened up and swallowed the drilling rig and killed the operator. Now get this, the safety resolution for this was to tie a rope around the drill operators waist and pay some to stand off to the side and hold the other end of the rope for 8 hours a day! Companies today like to post safety signs about how many days since the last injury. The mines used to measure how many days since the last man was killed on the job. I was there less than a year and in that time two men were killed when they mixed two wrong chemicals in the acid vats and created a toxic gas. One man lost a foot in a conveyor belt. A haul truck driver was killed when he ran into the back of another haul truck on a dark and rainy night. OSHA was non existent when I was there. The welding I used to do back then has changed dramatically, we took no safety precautions. The welder I used to use , threw out such a dense cloud of black smoke, that same welder today requires a full face remote air supply respirator. Ahhh the good old days.

Here's another one that might not be as obvious. Been trying to find a book that shows it in use. Seems I forgot to think of that before I retired. I could have filled a truck with old manuals that will end up in a dumpster someday:notworthy:

Well anyone want to guess what it is:
View attachment 137831

And NO I'm not talking about the wooden ruler!

If you can make out the color of the bits of paint left on it it may get you thinking in the right direction.

OK - now the mushroom-shaped right-hand end of this thing looks like it is intended to be hit with a hammer....and the yellow paint suggests something dangerous where caution is required....

Just not sure about those two holes.

Hmmmm...

PS - those mines sound like scary places Bob. From what I recall, the "good ole' days" really weren't so "good" in many respects.
scared2.gif

Last edited:
OK - now the mushroom-shaped right-hand end of this thing looks like it is intended to be hit with a hammer....and the yellow paint suggests something dangerous where caution is required....

Hmmmm...

No on the hit with hammer, and the paint color is about half way between yellow and green, maybe a bit heavy on the yellow side.

And you could almost consider it something of a precision tool as it is used to adjust something.

So the one under the pointy one is for setting off a set of charges at once?

From what I can find online it is some how used to test a blasting machine, you know the thing with the plunger handle they use when the bad guys are blowing something up in an cowboy movie! Or a Road Runner comic.
Coyote.png

Maybe I should see if Wile E Coyote needs one to test his machine, might stand a better chance of getting that dang Road Runner!

About the best description I could find online:
"This rheostat is for testing the capacity of 5, 10, 20, 25, 40 or 50 blasting machines."

Hmmmm...

PS - those mines sound like scary places Bob. From what I recall, the "good ole' days" really weren't so "good" in many respects.
scared2.gif

Sorry, I think we’re getting mixed up. I was referring to the big steel forging thingy
upload_2019-3-28_16-58-13.png

.... not the blasting detonator tester.

Sorry, I think we’re getting mixed up. I was referring to the big steel forging thingy
View attachment 137846

.... not the blasting detonator tester.
Yep that thingy with the ruler below it is what I was saying could be considered a tool for a "precision" job of adjusting.

Would it help if I said it was considered to be a wrench?

When I was a young man I worked as a welder for a big open pit copper mine in Arizona. The blasting crews would work all day and night drilling holes 20’ deep that would then be filled with good old ammonia nitrate fertilizer, which they then poured diesel fuel down on and then topped with a blasting cap. The explosions were always set off at 4:00 pm every day. The air raid sirens would go off and if you were anywhere in the pit you ran for cover.
View attachment 137839
Every once in a while a really big rock 2-3’ around would be thrown a very long way. We had one come through the roof of our welding shop and crush our great big cutting table. That rock flew from 1/2 mile away. We also had a pickup truck crushed once.

The mine I worked at wasn’t always an open pit mine. In the 1930’s and 40’s it was all below ground tunnels.
No maps were kept of the layout of tunnels and shafts and every once in a while a big hole would unexpectedly open up. This happened to one of the blast hole drill crews, unknowingly they were drilling a hole right above a vertical shaft, the ground opened up and swallowed the drilling rig and killed the operator. Now get this, the safety resolution for this was to tie a rope around the drill operators waist and pay some to stand off to the side and hold the other end of the rope for 8 hours a day! Companies today like to post safety signs about how many days since the last injury. The mines used to measure how many days since the last man was killed on the job. I was there less than a year and in that time two men were killed when they mixed two wrong ha
View attachment 137839

No maps were kept of the layout of tunnels and shafts and every once in a while a big hole would unexpectedly open up. This happened to one of the blast hole drill crews, unknowingly they were drilling a hole right above a vertical shaft, the ground opened up and swallowed the drilling rig and killed the operator. Now get this, the safety resolution for this was to tie a rope around the drill operators waist and pay some to stand off to the side and hold the other end of the rope for 8 hours a day! Companies today like to post safety signs about how many days since the last injury. The mines used to measure how many days since the last man was killed on the job. I was there less than a year and in that time two men were killed when they mixed two wrong chemicals in the acid vats and created a toxic gas. One man lost a foot in a conveyor belt. A haul truck driver was killed when he ran into the back of another haul truck on a dark and rainy night. OSHA was non existent when I was there. The welding I used to do back then has changed dramatically, we took no safety precautions. The welder I used to use , threw out such a dense cloud of black smoke, that same welder today requires a full face remote air supply respirator. Ahhh the good old days.
Gee, Bob,that was at least as dangerous a job as my friend descibed working as a civilian construction employee in Iraq with mortar shells being lobbed into the compound at night and the IUD's. He went for the pay, (hazzard pay) but If there was no OSHA you probably didn't get any of that.

Back