Mystery Tool - what is it?

I have to confess to watching my Dad use one of those torque wrenches when I was a kid... :rolleyes:

Torque wrench.
Ding! We have a winner.

Actually a Sunnen brand torque wrench. Scale is in Inch pounds 200 to 1200!
Adjusts by turning a 3/4 hex at the end at the bottom of the picture.

Yes you would not want to have your fingers in that opening while using or you would have some sore fingers!

Have to do some more digging to find some other old tools.

Still waiting on some one to figure out the tool with the two holes in it!

I’ll admit that I am stumped on that one.
Well don't feel bad as someone else found a couple of them a few years back and posted a picture on Heavy Equipment Forums and I think I was the only person who knew what they were. And if anyone had seen or used one someone there should have.

And if it makes you feel even better I have not been able to find any reference to them online!

Here's another one that might not be as obvious. Been trying to find a book that shows it in use. Seems I forgot to think of that before I retired. I could have filled a truck with old manuals that will end up in a dumpster someday:notworthy:

Well anyone want to guess what it is:
View attachment 137831

And NO I'm not talking about the wooden ruler!

If you can make out the color of the bits of paint left on it it may get you thinking in the right direction.

Drill guide for bowling ball finger holes!!!

Beags64, wins the prize for that one!

Got a kick out of the fact that the first summer I worked in the quarry fresh out of high-school and one of the things they had me doing was jamming one of those tools into the 4 inch round 18 inch long tubes of Gelamite then slipping the caps down in that hole.

Then a couple summers later and one of the company's other quarries about 10 miles away that had closed the summer before but had a supply of the Gelamite left in the magazine and they wanted it moved to our quarry. So they just sent myself and the driller, who also was the blaster, over there with a couple half ton pickups. Loaded both trucks up and drove back with no signs or anything. Driller did assure me that if the truck I was driving had a flat he was not going to stop!

This was before Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols blew up Oklahoma City but still might not have been good to be caught with those two loads!
One of those sultry summer nights that makes you restless and sleepless, I took a walk in the middle of the night to the tracks in Ridgewood, the next town from me. I heard a train coming but it was making weird noises. It was groaning and squealing and as it labored under the station lights. I could see why. Here were two old CSX diesels slipping and sliding under the weight of what they were hauling on a level grade. It was a single,unmarked, heavily reinforced steel box car that was only half the length of a standard freight car. My only guess was this was a lead lined containment vessel moving spent fuel rods from a reactor. It rumbled away into the darkness.

Last edited:
Since childhood, train tracks have held for me a sense wonderment, with all their multitude of gritty stories like Goldenboy's above just waiting for someone to tell them.

....or Woody Guthrie to sing one.
Carradinetrain.jpg

As little kids, my brother and I would stack pennies in a row on the track and wait for a train to rumble by to make a copper bracelet we could give to a pretty girl.

Even today, I am drawn to the tracks to try to absorb some of the mysteries they hold.

023-Vingnette.smaller.jpg

Last edited:
Since childhood, train tracks have held for me a sense wonderment, with all their multitude of gritty stories like Goldenboy's above just waiting for someone to tell them.

....or Woody Guthrie to sing one.
Carradinetrain.jpg

As little kids, my brother and I would stack pennies in a row on the track and wait for a train to rumble by to make a copper bracelet we could give to a pretty girl.

Even today, I am drawn to the tracks to try to absorb some of the mysteries they hold.

View attachment 138022
Really nice bike, Dude, but if you don't want it, don't leave it on the tracks. I'll take it. :bike:
Maybe, someone can help me; I'm looking to buy a decent quality 1/4 inch hex head hand impact driver. The web has me going in circles.

Back