Mystery Tool - what is it?

That's right should have thought about it as you were aircraft not heavy equipment as I recall.
Any one other than Jim know what the AN stands for?

Hi Ken,
in the UK aerospace industry in the 1960s AN referred to the American National thread form.
HTF the AN threads differed from the UN (Unified National) fasteners that we referred to as "American threads, I dunno.

From Wikipedia.....

The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification that dates back to World War II and stems from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN.

Does it specify a "Common" or "Coated" 6 penny nail?
They're kinda vague on that.....

Untitled.png

Well, Ken figured it out..... but didn't share with the rest of y'all. It's a mandrel for installing AN flared fittings.

This guys a little long winded. Skip forward to about 3:30

The AN are used I assume more for aircraft but the versions I worked SAE&JIC with were for more industrial applications on off-highway equipment very much the same just made for different hose types. Fuel, air and oil lines for the most part.

The AN are used I assume more for aircraft but the versions I worked SAE&JIC with were for more industrial applications on off-highway equipment very much the same just made for different hose types. Fuel, air and oil lines for the most part.
There are huge hydrolic lines attached to cables that weigh anchors on aircraft carriers. It's a dampening system to grab the bottom in a hurry to stop a lot of inertia.

When I worked in West Africa for Schlumberger Wireline Services (oil well logging and perforating) in the early 1980's, we used perforating "guns" to open the steel oil well tubing up to allow oil to flow in and be pumped to the surface.

All of our equipment was mounted on either a big 6-WD Transtar truck for land wells or in a little cabin on an offshore oil rig. Either the truck or the cabin had a big winch mounted on it with about 20-25,000 ft of armored steel cable about 5/8" in diameter. The cable had seven conductors inside the armor and the steel sheath counted as an eighth conductor. The cable came off the reel and went around a big orange sheave (pulley) and then up to the top of the drilling derrick and then straight back down the hole. The gun would be hung on the end of that cable.
schlumberger_ksa_full_web_1.jpg

The gun was basically a section of very heavy-walled pipe with a set of radially arranged portals into which were screwed some shaped charges that looked about like a small softball with a segment cut-out. Inside the segment was a copper cone - and that formed a jet of molten copper when the charge was detonated down-hole. The copper jet would perforate the oil well tubing and fracture the geological formation and that would enable the oil or gas to flow (once some other stuff was done to the well).
Anti-tank artillery rounds work about the same way....I'm told.

gunsystem.png

I was trained on how to load the gun, set the primer cord and blasting cap and position it down-hole at the correct depth - and then set it off. I did this task many, many times - but I never actually saw one of these things go off, because they were always 2-3 miles down-hole where the layer of petroleum in the local geological formation was located. We would confirm a good perforation by positioning a crewman on the drill floor and he would simply grasp the cable with his hand while I sent the electrical signal 10-15,000 ft. down to detonate the charges. If he felt a shudder in the cable, the charges had definitely gone off.

No shudder = no detonation and then you had a dangerous situation where a live "gun" had to be brought up and dis-armed. Fortunately, this never happened to me so I never had to deal with it.

Anyhow, a story went around that a small village in South America was having some sort of religious celebration in the town square and some of the local-yokels who were employed as Schlumberger crewmen offered to supply the fireworks for the party. Apparently, they pilfered several shaped charges and some primer cord plus a few blasting caps and set the whole thing off in the crowded town square with a car battery - ON THE SURFACE.

Much carnage and property destruction ensued as you can imagine.

I did a short little stint working for Schlumberger in Western Wyoming on a frac crew. Learned a ton, glad I didn't stay in it. 80 to 100 hours a week, 2 weeks on 1 week off got real old really fast.

I did a short little stint working for Schlumberger in Western Wyoming on a frac crew. Learned a ton, glad I didn't stay in it. 80 to 100 hours a week, 2 weeks on 1 week off got real old really fast.

Yup - not a job for boys and girls...

Hi all, I know unusual tools have been on other threads but I thought that maybe this needed a thread of its own. There must be plenty of odd things in the bottom of toolboxes among you all, so don't be shy, show me yours, and I'll .....

... show you mine. This tool was given to me over 25 years ago by a bloke who, I think, inherited it from his dad who had something to do with the motor trade. Here it is, exactly how I got it, still wrapped in the instructions with the very perished elastic band still stuck to it:
View attachment 136862

Underneath, it looks like this:
View attachment 136863

So, what do you reckon it is? And roughly how old?
5" raper tool.

I read through, just remembered when someone sent me on a wild goose chase for a "6 inch raper tool" I totally fell for it.... was pretty embarrasing.

I read through, just remembered when someone sent me on a wild goose chase for a "6 inch raper tool" I totally fell for it.... was pretty embarrasing.

Hi X77S.
I remember being sent to the tool crib for the long stand.
Which is why I told the journeyman to fuck off when he sent me for a glass hammer.
If I'd known it was the slang term for a panel beater's acrylic-headed mallet my day would have been more tranquil.
Then there was the lad who was sent to fetch a bucket of compressed air. He was gone most of the day,
Came back with a 2 gallon bucket with a dome rivetted on top, a tire valve and a pressure gauge reading 80 PSI.
"Had this done in the sheetmetal shop, they billed it to our shop charge, OK?"

Hi X77S.
I remember being sent to the tool crib for the long stand.s would n
Which is why I told the journeyman to fuck off when he sent me for a glass hammer.
If I'd known it was the slang term for a panel beater's acrylic-headed mallet my day would have been more tranquil.
Then there was the lad who was sent to fetch a bucket of compressed air. He was gone most of the day,
Came back with a 2 gallon bucket with a dome rivetted on top, a tire valve and a pressure gauge reading 80 PSI.
"Had this done in the sheetmetal shop, they billed it to our shop charge, OK?"
When I worked on big printing presses, the new guys would be sent from department to department to get a bucket of half tone dots. They are also non existent, except on a printed page...

'5" raper tool.'

Well, I just fell for it! It's a new one on me, maybe didn't make it across the pond? Or maybe I'm just a bit dim :confused: Which is more likely, of course ........

The first job I ever had, I was sixteen, it was late at night and there was this huge dust storm blowing outside, and I was told it was my job to go out and take the flag down.
I went out in the storm and searched the parking lot and couldn’t find the flag pole.
When I went back in they assured me I just needed to look in the right location, so back out into the storm I went.
Yeah.......no flag pole. I went back in to find them all laughing their asses off. :laugh2:

Back