Native American Tomahawk

. It wasn't until I got it home and looked carefully under strong light, that I saw it had been made in "India". So, I guess I have an authentic "Indian" tomahawk!

:) can't trust anything these days can you :rolleyes:

I was just looking for a simple basic facimilie or replica as a Christmas present to hang on the wall........ not to make a long term financial investment in a Museum piece ;)

As I said in a previous post I decided to buy a basic replica peacepipe/tomahawk and decorate it myself with some feathers beads and leather .
It certainly has led to a very interesting discussion though......

...I would love to visit a gun show and would probably spend days there and have to be dragged away kicking and screaming...

You would've loved this one, peanut. But, since I can't handle "kicking and screaming", we could've just stayed 'till you pass out.
FBG-Gunshow1217-01.jpg

I came across this decorative version, bimetallic brass and steel.
FBG-Gunshow1217-02.jpg

But, he's asking $140. A bit much, I think.

...I think that I will probably buy a simple axe with a plain wooden handle and decorate it myself with feathers etc . Some of the replicas I see on the net look like kids toys . This would be ideal I think View attachment 110806

Now, THAT one i like! That's more like it.

Found a couple items for the "What is it?" crowd...

FBG-Gunshow1217-03.jpg

FBG-Gunshow1217-04.jpg

fantastic !..... boy would I like to spend the day rummaging there.
I used to love collecting classic & vintage 1911 & 1911A1 .45s The one I never managed to collect was the US&S .45
I once saw a .45 with a USS&S slide but it had been mixed and matched by some armourer probably in the 50s in Vietnam.

Had a mint Kriegsmarine Model B Star I bought from the estate of a WWll Polish fighter pilot. Wish I had kept that one ! it was a mediocre firer and too bland looking for my collection . Now the Llama 1911s were seriously gorgious, even more pretty than the Colt if thats possible and made in .38 Super too .
never found a nice one sadly. ....
Really liked the Astra range 200 400 &600 interesting little pistols to collect. Had a 400 that was issued to a Chilean Air Force .Sadly my whole collection had to be handed in to the UK Government to be crushed in 1997

ps is that an early ice axe ?

Last edited:
The broad, short blade thing is an 1800's ice axe, used at the ice houses.

The pickaxe looking thing is a vintage 1880-1890 NYFD pickaxe. The dealer explained something about a leather shortage, so rather than a full size sheath, it has small tip covers, attached by a (unseen on the backside) thin leather strap...

I'm a historical interpreter for the National Park Service. I also do volunteer interpretation for the local state park at a French and Indian War (seven years war) fort built in 1756.
One of the best places I know to get period correct reproduction weapons is:

(link to the edged weapons)
https://www.longrifle.com/product-category/artisans-works/tomahawks-axes-knives-and-forgings/

If you can't find something exact on here, contact one of the craftsmen and ask. They will make it.

My father found a stone tomahawk when he was 16 (1962) while plowing a field. My brother has it in the safe. Several "experts" told my father he was full of shit and that if it was real, it would be over 500 yrs old. Well, it's real. He has a cigar box full of spear and arrow heads. We grew up on the Susquehanna river in Maryland. Lots of eastern Native American history. A buddy of mine knaps heads and such. That is why I never buy them. He can make them look 300 yrs old. Many frauds out there.

can anyone suggest a source to buy a replica Native Indian Tomahawk ?
My partner is a lifelong collector of all things Western and has a great collection that is missing a decent authentic looking Tomahawk.
I can only find 2x examples for sale in the UK and they are rubbish, they look like cheap gift shop souvenirs

Hi peanut,
dunno where you'd find one in the UK but what any Canadian would do is exactly what a 16th Century indigenous person would do to get a hatchet.
Go to the nearest Hudson Bay store and buy one because they still sell them.
The only difference is that these days you gotta pay with money rather than with beaver pelts.

^You could attack the place and burn it down and steal a bunch of them.

Hi xjwmx,
stupid paleface!
If you burn down the Bay store where you gonna get a new hatchet next time you need one?
Better to steal the neighbor's Bay card, eh?

I've got three or four throwing Hawks, small to larger, and a smoking hawk which ain't for throwing. Putting a bunch of feathers and gewgaws on is gaudy and impractical but does appeal to some.

Townsend has been linked in this thread and in the past they carried several styles, also an outfit called Crazy Crow is a catalog for reenactors, they carried them also. There's a large bladed trade hawk that's associated with the Plains people that may be what would go on the wall considering the 'time and place' theme.

Fred's mention of Hudson Bay is a good'n.

A pole ax is the most practical. Cutting edge with a hammer head.

Every ancient tomahawk that I've seen was made ala peck and grind. Patience, patience, patience gets it done.

Aces on that link xj. With that info and then a search on some of the listed purveyors should bring up a score.

That hawk with the heart cutout in the business end I've seen referred to as a Missouri war hawk and would be appropriate for the time and location. Tacked handle for decor, drilled through at the bottom for the leather piece that tells you when to grip the handle so's to not lose it.....hand to hand as opposed to throwing on that one - though in a pinch......lol.

xjwmx,
An excellent link (furtradetomahawks...) ! Now, I identify what I have as a contemporary 'trade axe'. It is small, but handy and rather sharp. In close quarters, in a pinch, I suppose it could inflict a very painful "owie". Although I use it primarily to split kindling, on backpacking expeditions...

The kudos should go to the forever unknown (though highly-paid) geniuses who created the algorithms to enable the machines to index the site, on the machines' way to taking the reigns which will render us intellectual pork chops in the coming meat vs.machine apocalypse, unless the Koreans kill us first and save us.

living in montana, they show up all the time. pretty much every pawn shop has a tomahawk or a dream catcher.
they are pretty common here.
usually some souvenir from yellowstone or glacier.
but you can find some old stuff.
arrowheads are common too. ive been arrowhead hunting before. pretty fun to hang out in a large field in the middle of the mountains and find a piece of obsidian that is shaped and you know the last time someone touched it was 200 years ago.
the real cool tomahawks are at the pow wows. all dressed up with eagle feathers and hand made leather tassels. you can tell its been in the tribe for a long time. pow wows and bad ass in general

living in montana, they show up all the time. pretty much every pawn shop has a tomahawk or a dream catcher.
they are pretty common here.
usually some souvenir from yellowstone or glacier.
but you can find some old stuff.
arrowheads are common too. ive been arrowhead hunting before. pretty fun to hang out in a large field in the middle of the mountains and find a piece of obsidian that is shaped and you know the last time someone touched it was 200 years ago.
the real cool tomahawks are at the pow wows. all dressed up with eagle feathers and hand made leather tassels. you can tell its been in the tribe for a long time. pow wows and bad ass in general
Good idea, Pat; Pow Wows.
In fact, I discovered that there are Pow Wows held in the UK, where our thread starter, Peanut resides.
At least they were held in the year 2000, as noted here:

http://www.cankita.co.uk/cankita/homepages/powwows2000frame.html

Also noted:

The Powwows and other events listed here are generally not Native American run but in most cases do adhere strictly to traditional Native American custom (usually based on Lakota traditions). The regalia of the dancers is of mixed style with many completely authentic outfits, the MC ensures that due respect is given to ceremonies and etiquette and the events are held so that non-Native Americans can share in these unique traditions. Anyone is welcome to attend these Powwows providing that they show due respect to the customs and traditions being honoured. An example of the rules of etiquette is given below.
If you care about Native American culture you will be most welcome at any of these events. You will see some fabulous outfits, be able to buy some great Native American related stuff (we will be at most of these events) and will have a great day out.
There are relatively few Powwows in the UK so these details will remain here for most of the year and I will add reviews of those we have attended. This way, if you miss an event you will know what to look out for next year.

I go to one or two Pow Wows a year, with many being held in New York State each year. The Thunder in The Valley Pow Wow Festival in Big Indian, NY (Catskills) was great.

304136.jpg

Ck out " Proxibid " they do auctions on.. everything.... both sides of the pond. Type in what you want in search. Several tomahawks... re-pop's and " real " .
vehicles, m/c's..parts... military stuff.... Be sure to ck the buyers premiums .. a bit steep on some items. I have purchased from the site... but most of the time you guys all seem to out bid me.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back