Neander means designed by Neanderthal, I think.

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
I'm a function over form kind of guy and this thing is too ugly even for the likes of me.

http://www.neander-motorcycle.com/shortversion-neu/main_en.html

img_2417.jpg

Last edited:
The best part I think. I cannot see either in that design.

"A 200% bike:
100% Sex and 100% Rock 'n Roll
The best mix on two wheels"

That engine is a interesting design. Overcomplicated, though; I cannot think of a truly good engineering reason to have the crankshaft design it does. I see a major drawback, too: only one side of the crank is supported where the connecting rod attaches, i.e. it's in single shear, not double. The last time I saw that was in a Cox .049 glow engine which has nowhere near the compression required to make a diesel run. That does not speak well for the engine's long term reliability.

Neander engine:
3D-MotorCut.jpg

Cox 049 crankshaft:
Cox%20049%20Killer%20Bee%20%26%20Diesel%20Crank%202-01.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very intriguing engine design. I would be a little leery of the single sided crank but the dual crank/rod posses a lot of benefits.

I have modeled the effects of offset piston pins and while you can gain torque from the offset the trade off is increased piston side load. With this setup, however, there is zero piston side load despite the massive piston offset. Notice the complete lack of piston skirts. With some quick calculations I can see a 44% increase in torque (and therefore power) for a given engine size. Actually, with the same crank throw, the stroke would be a little over 4% longer because of the drastic angle of the con rods.

With a 270 orientation you could eliminate most of the primary and secondary vibration without using a balance shaft. So, less friction, more torque/power, and smoother operation. The only obvious downsides are increased rotating mass and more noise from the straight cut gears between the cranks. The increased mass really isn't a bad thing for a cruiser and, if I understand it correctly, the gyro of the counter rotating cranks would cancel to some degree so it wouldn't feel as heavy. Also, with a drastically oversquare design you could run relatively small cranks.

On my bucket list is building an engine from scratch. I'm filing this one away as an interesting starting point.

Back