need a bit of help newbie here with a electrical problem

jim12399

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
so i am a newbie building my first bike but i have a bit of a eletrical problem....i installed a t/c bros wireing harness i have a 6 pin cdi unit igniton....well here is my problem...the bike will fire up fine but here is the catch i have to take the left spark plug boot off and hold it like an inch from the top of the spark plug for it to fire up...if i touch it right to the top of the spark plug (like it should be) the bike wont fire but as soon as i hold it like 1inch or so from the spark plug it wont fire...i dont no if i have the wrong spark plug boot or what i have never heard of any thing like this....any help would be awsome im pulling my hair out trying to figure this out...

maybe i need non resistance spark plug boots not really sure it ran fine all last year and now this is a new problem to me...maybe it could be a ground problem...it will run fine as long as i take the spark plug wire and hold it like an an inch away from the spark plug but as soon as i put a boot on the spark plug wire and atach it to the spark plug it wont fire up

Running a large spark gap like that is an old time "fix" for a fouled plug, try a new plug see if that cures it.
It works because the large gap requires higher voltage to build up before it will jump the gap. The higher voltage won't just bleed off through the deposits on the plug and will jump the plug gap firing the mixture.
Back in the day spark gap "ignition problem" cures were sold in ads in the back of Popular Mechanics and by JC Whitney type places. I wouldn't be surprised if JC Whitney STILL sells them.

Back