1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a fork brace for '79 Special

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GaryS-NJ, Nov 11, 2019.

1. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

I am looking to get a fork brace for my '79 650 special.. and like everyone else here I'm trying to work within a budget (as little as possible). I'm gonna run the 20 yo tires until they disintegrate like the space shuttle and when comes time for uni pods and jetting I'll probably chop the muffs.. so anyone have a line on a used fork brace?? I'm not digging the big hoop brace but Mike's has one for $110 which grabs the lower legs and that's nice. I'd really like to buy a 12 pak and get my pal to weld one like Hughes handbuilt leaving me room for a fender.

2. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter

Why not just use the stock fender? It has a built-in fork brace of sorts. I cut mine down for more of a café look. Front fender.JPG

lakeview and Machine like this.
  3. If you're going to use a front fender then get the 12 pack and drink it y'self........well, ya could share......lol

4. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not sure if a fork brace will make up for the 20 y o tires......

GaryS-NJ and grizld1 like this.
  5. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

You didn't ask for advice, so feel free to ignore this. But tires, like many plastics, lose volatile compounds to the atmosphere over time, and when that happens they also lose their grip, even if they look perfect and feel soft under the thumbnail. A fork brace is a useless piece of bling unless you're pitching over hard in the corners. Recommendation: first things first.

6. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

If your lucky those old tires will just scare you. If not I guess we won't hear much from you.
    Get new tires, Then put your stock fender on for the built in brace.
    Leo

7. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263025120442
    This seller has a few of these NOS old-style braces. This one should fit a 79. If it doesn't, it should be on the seller, i.e. seller should pay for return postage and give you a full refund.
    I almost bought it, but I was skeptical of the hole diameters. I asked the seller about it and never got a response.

GaryS-NJ likes this.
  8. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I think that's a brace for fork tubes, like when you extend them, not for the lowers or sliders.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  9. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

If you're only looking for a way to hold your fender on, the old Triumph style is easy to make, but it wouldn't work too well without at least one fender stay.

10. kevski

kevski XS650 Addict

kent uk
    What everyone else says, Tires first, as the adage goes, you can't fix Stoopid.

11. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist

Ah, now it makes sense, thank you.
    Would have to be very extended tubes to be of any use.

12. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

2E1650E4-AAD7-438F-A48E-359956F708E8.jpeg GaryS-NJ
    I haven’t seen this member reply to this thread yet.
    This “Omars” fork brace is one of the nicest looking and made I’ve seen.
    There is one available in a storage unit assortment of forks I found
    :whistle:
    anybody interested ?

13. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi GaryS and welcome,
    should you survive running on 20 year old tires and if your Special's front forks still have the stock fender that's also a fork brace,
    I'd recommend adding a TKAT fork brace or a knock-off to boost the fork stiffness. Check this lists classifieds for a used one.
    Ans as one cheap bastard to another, fix your exhaust for zero dollars by shoving a pointy steel bar up the mufflers and vigorously applying a BFH.

GaryS-NJ likes this.
  14. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

I saw that one but it locks to the inner tubs so you have to install with lower legs off then secure it above the max travel (which has it a tad I see the lower tree.)

15. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

That one is gorgeous. I found one on Ebay by K&L. And waiting on it.

16. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

Thanks all on the tires bit I was asking about the brace (& yes I'm running a front fender). And I'll get to the tires when I get to getting to them...

17. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

Wish I saw this reply earlier.. I'm new to this forum and didnt see email reply notifications.

18. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Good luck with that. You'll need it. :popcorn:

Bewarethemoon likes this.
  19. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi GaryS,
    I rode my son's low mileage XS650 home from it's seller's house on it's original15 year old tires. On wet streets. One scary ride.
    Told my son "Those tires gotta go." "But they look perfect." "Ride it round the block." "I'll buy new tires tomorrow."
    Best you get new tires before the old ones get to you.

GaryS-NJ likes this.
  20. GaryS-NJ

GaryS-NJ XS650 Member

I meant I'm asking about the brace. As far as new old bikes go first I work on the ho then I work on the stop then the suspension and tires and then remove the ugly.. I rarely get to making them pretty.

Team Junk and mrtwowheel like this.