Need a fork brace for '79 Special

20191114_160923.jpg

Recieved the brace and it fist right there where the dust seal should go... I hadn't thought much and assumed it should attach beneath the seal. So I poked around and the Tarozzi site says theirs is recessed for the dust seal but my seal groove is at the bottom.. but the fender fits perfectly!!. Im guessing there might be an alternative dust seal?? Funny I have a super brace on my yam venture and ride two other sporty bikes as stock and my '79 gs1000 scares the shit out of me but I didnt think of a brace for that. This bike will be half the HP and just a puddle jumper.

If you look at the specific Tarozzi brace for the 650, you'll see it has added "lips" on top of the part that clamps onto the lower for the dust wiper to snap onto .....

Nq3s1D9.jpg

u6JTkVy.jpg

Personally, I run an ATK brace on mine. Similar to the one Machine showed, but nicer I think because it's more streamlined and compact .....

6uBYzJZ.jpg

It also has the added "lip" on top for the dust wiper, or in my case the gator .....

HZgCGsf.jpg

I think I saw that brace you bought but passed on it because it didn't have any provision made for attaching the dust wiper. Instead, I found another ATK just like I've got, and in fact, I think it came from that same seller. It was quite a deal. The auction was one of those "... or best offer ..." ones. The seller wanted $40, I offered $30, and he took it.

Do those braces get very close to the lower triple clamp ? Surely they must get very close to interference ?

I've never had an issue with mine. Maybe that one you posted a pic of might have issues, it's taller.

I’ve got a Telefix brace on mine and it has a lip like the Tarozzi and 5T’s that the dust cover or gaitor fits snugly on.

Hello Gary. I think some of the braces look great ! But in reality the stock fender is likely all the support needed between those fork legs. In most cases ;)
If an XS is used for say flat track racing, or even road racing the added support of the fork brace would be beneficial. As a road rider ? There are other things to address before that such as the weak fork springs, steering stem bearings, brakes ?
Don’t get me wrong I’m all for a guy working on his XS and repairing or replacing anything in whatever order fits in your own situation.
keep us posted. And We Like Pics !
:cool:
I agree on logical upgrades. I have neck bearings and cartridge emulators on order (gonna try with chopped stock springs). Then I'll see how the front and rear handles.. I read something bout swingarm bushings. I put cartridge emulators and straight springs in my '79 GS1K big improvement fork braces on other rides helps with highway snake weave and seems to make things more like a bike then a 70's Cadillac boat. Will look at the brakes and stop after the go. Just thought of th ed fork brace be I already don tg like 35mm front ends. My newer bikes are not scary and sometimes I end up riding g with newer bikes so I need some highway performance.

If you look at the specific Tarozzi brace for the 650, you'll see it has added "lips" on top of the part that clamps onto the lower for the dust wiper to snap onto .....

Nq3s1D9.jpg

u6JTkVy.jpg

Personally, I run an ATK brace on mine. Similar to the one Machine showed, but nicer I think because it's more streamlined and compact .....

6uBYzJZ.jpg

It also has the added "lip" on top for the dust wiper, or in my case the gator .....

HZgCGsf.jpg

I think I saw that brace you bought but passed on it because it didn't have any provision made for attaching the dust wiper. Instead, I found another ATK just like I've got, and in fact, I think it came from that same seller. It was quite a deal. The auction was one of those "... or best offer ..." ones. The seller wanted $40, I offered $30, and he took it.

Nq3s1D9.jpg

u6JTkVy.jpg

6uBYzJZ.jpg

HZgCGsf.jpg

Oh hell I missed that one. I could powdercoat to clean up so used is good to me..

Very interesting shape, never saw one like that before . You could use rubber boots above it ?
Yes I was thinking the boots might stay put a little.. I'm scratching my noodle on this. I only went after it bc the front end was apart and I had one on a Harley that was one piece living in the tubes. These on the lower legs can be added anytime but not the gator boots. Need decision on that

Back