need advice on buying a couple bikes... are they worth it

SLYrider491

Braaaaapp
Reaction score
Hey guys im a proud owner of a 80 special bobber daily rider. i love it but i cant say that i built it , i just brought it back to being road worthy.:bike:

i wanna get a ground up project going so i could make one how i want it. i also want something i can tear into to learn more about these bikes without being rushed . plus the extra parts for my bike would be nice to have

anyways theirs a guys locally selling two xs650's.

he says one is a 81 with title, basket case, and needs the top end rebuilt.

the other he says is a 83 with a homemade hardtail (he bought it that way) also has title and doesnt run.

he is asking $675 for both

any input would be highly appreciated

thanks

thought i would ask what you guys thought.

Attachments

• both bikes 2.JPG
    both bikes 2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 204
  • both bikes.JPG
    both bikes.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 193
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 207
The basket case looks to be a 77 Standard with, (hard to tell on such small pics), a 16"rear wheel. How can i tell, rear foot-peg mounts, rear indicator mounts, metal side-covers and front 35mm forks and the mufflers are from the 76-79 Standard.

The hard tail has the gazillion spoke wheels that started in 82 so may be what he says it is.

2 titled frames would be worth near what the asking price is, a Good buy in my mind

ya i was thinking that even if i kept one to play with and sell or part out the other it should be worth it .

thanks for letting me know the id on the bikes great info

If you are buying to keep good deal
If you are buying to sell better deal
Frame with title $350 each
Motor not seized can go as much as $400 each
Wheels $50 each
Carbs $50 each
I can go on and on
GREAT DEAL

so i found out some more info about the bikes
he is swapping both set of wheels for one set of sr500 mag wheels with new tires.

sucks i know

also the bike behind the hard tail isnt the second bike ... and i dont have photos

basically second bike is literally a basket case has frame engine with blown top end no carbs all titled on non op
still asking 700

or 1000 and he has a complete cylinder and piston topend kit from mikesxs.com

so...
2 frames 1 hardtail 1 stock
2 engines 1 needing topend 1 said to crank over
1 set of mag wheels from sr500
1 set of carbs from the 83
bunch of misc parts

still worth 700?

Depends on wheather you want a hobby or if you want a motorcycle to ride . I personaly would rather spend a few $$$$ more and start a project with a running bike , something that is plated and on the road. At least that way you wont have to rebuild the engine , find carbs, and all of the rotten wiring that goes with basket cases.

Just my opinion, sometimes you have to spend a buck to save a buck.

If he sent you that pic leading you to believe that is what you are getting and now the deal has changed, offer him $100 or walk away

Bet the deal will change some more when you get there. i wouldn't travel till I had acurate pictures and description. Then again I just mailed a $325 check for a 77 barn find with title that I have not seen, not even a picture, from a guy I have never met and have to drive 4 hours each way to get. Might be able to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

ya im just looking for a hobby i have a daily driver already but i didnt built it just got it street legal and ridable....im gonna make sure i get pictures of everything before i commit to looking at it and or buying . and im definitly not gonna pay asking price unless he throws topend kit with it. then ill pay 700

anyone in southern cali got a better deal let me know

The SR500 wheels won't really do you any good. The front will work but the rear won't. Don't know why he made that trade unless it was to a buddy. All the wheels he traded were definitely worth more than the 2 he got.

well i talked to him on the phone and basically, i think he just wanted to keep the spoked rims for something else and he has a couple sr500s lying around( also on his CL ad) and thought they would swap..... so the wheels wont even work on a xs650 as a set ?

Here is what i would offer and do. If its not too far go there with MONEY CASH!!! Check out the important parts Motor /Frames/Titles Thats your money. If numbers match to titles offer low like $500.00 for both and tell him to keep the wheel and the difference in price is the wheels $250.00 off price becausae you need to get wheels. If you get these parts anywhere near $600.00 for both with matching titles you got $1000.00 plus in parts for resale for another bike if you don't want the challange to build. I wish this guy was closer to me i would offer the $500.00 and just sell the parts on EBAY. I don't agree with just the phone calls because he may be sitting on something else at his home that may sweeten the deal. I am not saying it happens all the time but i went to buy a XS650 and the guy had a very rare CB750 100 code and i made tons of money off that bike and only paid under $500.00 for a bike restored that pulls $25,000.00 or more. I sold it for parts and made big bucks. Also Honda CB450 up to CB750 are 20mm axles too same wheels used them on a couple XS builds i did. Axles longer than xs good for wider wheel conversions.
GO LOOK MAKE THE DEAL...

Alright well I've tried a couple times to go look at these bikes and guy keeps falling through. It's a good deal but Its hard to get ahold of the guy I'm gonna keep trying but until then , the search continues what do you guys think about this ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271056829472?redirect=mobile

I havent heard much about 83's. And if there a good candidate for bobber ? This guy is right around the corner from my house is it worth 800 ? Better deal ? I've requested more info .

Also there's a big motorcycle swap meet this weekend in long beach. Should I hold off and see what's there . I haven't ever been to it or talked to anyone thats been , but it looks like a pretty legit swap meet.

http://www.socalcycleswapmeet.com/

Anyone on here been ?

Thank for all the help

So the two bikes ended up getting sold for 1400 idk how but that's what I was told ...

So what do u guys think about eBay bike I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow.

It's titled . Said to have good compression needs battery and it doesn't have the keys

I think he said it will start . Only talked to him via text so far.

Let me kno what you guys think

Back